The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Revert Document Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am noticing that Revert Document menu item is grayed out more often then not in Omnigraffle. I really value this feature and I'm wondering why this option is, for the most part, constantly grayed out. Couple important factors:

- Running Lion 10.7.3
- Omnigraffle Pro Version 5.3.6
- I have made edits to the document recently
- The revert document does light up very occasionally, but often by the time I realize that it was lit up and I go back to the menu to select it, it has already become gray again.

Again, I really would like this feature to work and I am eager for someone to give a clear answer as to what I am doing wrong.

I have the same problem...but my menu item for it never becomes activated. It's just always grayed-out.

Hmm still having this issue =(. Not having this issue with other apps, any word on the issue?

When this happens, have you switched away from OmniGraffle and back (to a web browser or your email app, for example)?

I'm not sure what's causing that, but I was able to duplicate the behavior you describe under those circumstances. I'll file a bug on that; if you're seeing it happen with a different set of steps, try to describe what you're seeing and we can file another. Sorry for the trouble!

I have verified that this definitely happens when I switch from another application back into omnigraffle it grays out the menu item...For my home machine I have a fresh Lion install, not overtop of an existing OS install. I have no other programs running aside from dropbox. I do have the latest version of Xcode installed if that makes a difference. I am posting my current stats from the about dialog in omnigraffle:

Build details:

Product: OmniGrafflePro-5.3
Tag: OmniGraffle/5.3.6/GM-v138.33
Date: 2011-11-07 08:48:50 -0800
Builder: ryan
Host: tb105i.private.omnigroup.com
Revision: 157554

Xcode: /Developer
Xcode 3.1
Component versions: DevToolsCore-1100.0; DevToolsSupport-1086.0
BuildVersion: 9M2199

Let me know if you need to see the other tag information displayed below this. I will check my work machine tomorrow to make sure this bug explains the behavior I am getting there as well. Thanks!

For OG context, read this post, and this post. Post #18 is also really worth reading.

I am surprised that Omni do not present the change properly, because they normally do. The change is in Lion, nothing to do with OG or any app. The auto-save feature in OG is now redundant, the functionality now resides in Lion. To access a previous version, use TimeMachine (it is now standard with OSX).

This Apple/Lion KB article is essential to understanding the issue.

The RevertToSaved option is greyed out because Lion is auto-saving the file, and there is no unsaved version to revert to. You may also have OG set up to auto-save, which will confuse you, so you can clear that setting.

Omni
  1. I do not have Lion yet, to test this. If OG still has an Preferences option for AutoSave under Lion, it is a gross error (contrary to the compliance, ala absence of the SaveAs option) and should be removed.
  2. Actually, come to think of it, RevertToSaved is now redundant and can be removed (I am not sure why it is not automatically removed). The new way of accessing a previous version is via TimeMachine, and you can choose which particular version to revert to; or open a particular version and grab a few objects from it, without losing the context of the current open doc.

Cheers
Derek

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2012-03-19 at 12:59 AM..

This is such a problem... I just lost a bunch of work because of this new "feature". If I make a bunch of changes to a document, and close it without saving... I expect that document to automatically revert to the saved version when I open it again... this is such a pain in the ass that now the only way to get back to my saved document is go through Time Machine or hit undo a thousand times.

Seriously... when is this problem going to be taken seriously?

Save your document as normal, then when you want to get back to the saved state, select "Revert Document..." from the File menu. One menu selection and you're back to the saved state.

The additional protection from data/document loss the Versions feature in Lion provides is more than enough to offset learning a slightly new workflow.

In order to create a trail of versions, I constantly choose Duplicate in the page title which allows me to save a new instance. It's good practice to save separate individual versions as you go, so that you can compare them later.