The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Informal poll: MobileMe vs. WebDAV Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I notice many postings regarding the challenges/problems associated with getting iOF to sync using WebDAV. However, I haven't seen as many problems with using MobileMe posted in this forum. I wonder what the breakdown is in users employing a WebDAV solution vs. MobileMe.

Personally, I have been a MobileMe/.Mac user since the iTools days, so it was easy for me, and I have had relatively few problems with syncing between 2 Macs and my 1st gen iPhone, especially once the MobileMess got sorted out over the weekend (thanks for the free month, Apple).

For those of you up and running with iOF syncing to a Mac, are you using MobileMe or WebDAV?

Using MobileMe but only in free mode until Webdav works. I have no intention of paying $100 per year just to sync my stuff when webDAV is free for me. Besides that, boy is Mobile Me overpriced!

J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
Using MobileMe but only in free mode until Webdav works. I have no intention of paying $100 per year just to sync my stuff when webDAV is free for me. Besides that, boy is Mobile Me overpriced!

J.
Me too.

-Chris

I got .Mac from Amazon for a slight discount, but it was still overpriced. And so still is MobileMe. It's getting there, though! ...kinda.

But since Apple hasn't provided access to the iTunes sync process, I can only imagine that more and more, apps will use WebDAV to sync data, and almost all of them will support MobileMe as the "painless" way to do it.

.Mac has always been a hodgepodge of small, useful functions that, for some, added up to being worth the price of admission. And over-the-air iPhone data-syncing is just one more way to justify the cost. (Let's just hope they implement true desktop push soon.)

Last edited by AquaMethod; 2008-07-16 at 09:53 PM..

Using MobileMe... have had great success with the setup. Some sync issues, but nothing catastrophic.

I resisted getting a .mac account for a long time... but got one primarily for syncing calendars, address, Yojimbo and 1Password from home to work. It has worked very well for me with this task.

I've been looking at the new design, and I must say it's fantastic. Extremely simple in design and functional.

I like having an email address of name@me.com. I'm as much an Apple cult member as the next, but there is something about having an email address like, name@me.com instead of name@mac.com. Almost like having, name@name.com. I'll probably keep the subscription when it rolls around.

My biggest concern with the MobileMe syncing is security. I would feel much better if I knew that at least my name & password are encrypted before sent to MobileMe. Or if I could only sync selected items over. On the same note, it is like having an automatic backup of all my important data.

¢¢