The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Linked or Embedded Objects - Different SubGraphs? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hi...I'm new to OmniGraffle and trying to determine if it will do what I need it to before I buy it. (So I don't have a lot of experience with it yet.)

I'm trying to figure out a way to have one master canvas that is a flowchart/diagram of a large series of events/story/characters/different storylines. I want to group these events into smaller, subordinate canvases as books/chapters/acts/scenes. There are two ways I envision doing this, but can't figure out how to do it within Graffle.

First, is there a way to have a SubGraph actually on another canvas? I like how a subgraph collapses to a single object, but when I expand it, it covers everything else because I want to put a lot of things in it. Rather, is it possible to have a mini representation on the master canvas that indicates in real time the contents of and changes made to a subordinate canvas? With lines from the master canvas that flow into and out of the subordinate canvas?

OR...

Second, is there a way to link objects/squares? So if I made changes to an object/square on one canvas, those changes are reflected in a linked object/square in another canvas? Shared layers seem to be limited to objects/squares being in the same location on different canvases so doesn't seem to be a good way for a subordinate canvas to function as a blown up portion of the larger master canvas.

Any ideas or suggestions? I appreciate it!