The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Question about new window vs new tab Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I've been trying out SP7 and am very happy with it, for the most part. I have a question though, and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, it's a bug, or normal behavior.

There are times I click on links on a page and instead of opening the link in a new tab, I get a new window. In the Tabs & Windows Prefs, I have:

Open links from other applications in: A new tab
Open links to other sites in: A new tab

And the last option is set to In a new background tab.

So why am I ever getting a new window?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoHamster
Hello,

I've been trying out SP7 and am very happy with it, for the most part. I have a question though, and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, it's a bug, or normal behavior.

There are times I click on links on a page and instead of opening the link in a new tab, I get a new window. In the Tabs & Windows Prefs, I have:

Open links from other applications in: A new tab
Open links to other sites in: A new tab

And the last option is set to In a new background tab.

So why am I ever getting a new window?

Thanks in advance.
This is really bugging me too. If a given link is set in source to open in a new window, OmniWeb will open it in a new window, period. The only way to get around it is with the contextual menu. I really hope OW changes this to respect command-clicking as well as respect per-site preferences about opening links to external sites (not sure if it should override global preferences about opening new links or not). The command-click thing is a must - every other browser I've used always treats the command-click as overriding whatever default link behaviour is in place. And I'd love to see per-site preferences override it as well, so I can set digg.com to always open external sites in new tabs so I can just click each link to get a new tab.

Please read the release notes (and the umpteen other threads on this) - it is a known issue with target="_blank" links. The workaround for the bug is to control click links and choose the appropriate option from the contextual menu.

Last edited by JKT; 2006-05-02 at 12:08 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Please read the release notes (and the umpteen other threads on this) - it is a known issue with target="_blank" links.
Thank you.