The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OW 5.8 using too much RAM, and beachballs... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Since upgrading to 5.8, I get quite high RAM usage(250mb+) within a few minutes of starting up. I also get some beachball activity at start-up... I usually start up with google reader as my saved page from the previous session.

Anyone else experiencing this behaviour?

Cheers,

Hi-
I'm averaging ~71 Megs of Ram, with OW 5.8 on my Intel-Mac Mini. Possibly cleaning OW's cache might help, but aside from that , I'm short on suggestions. Good luck.

That was about what I used to see. 70 to 80mb. I will do a cache cleaning to see if that helps.

[edit]After flushing the cache and only starting up the omniweb start page, this page and feedburner home page, I am already at 109mb! Every page I open seems to ramp it up a few MB.

Last edited by larrinski; 2008-11-09 at 12:44 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrinski View Post
Since upgrading to 5.8, I get quite high RAM usage(250mb+) within a few minutes of starting up. I also get some beachball activity at start-up... I usually start up with google reader as my saved page from the previous session.

Anyone else experiencing this behaviour?

Cheers,
After an hour it is about 250 MB and after a few hours it eats 500 MB +. I usually close it two or three times a day to get my RAM back.

Webkit.app/Safari isn't much better. Firefox starts out much more slowly, but at the end of the day it gets there too. I don't now if it is my system, but I'm really disappointed about the state of webbrowsers.

For the love of god, this is 2008. Put the max amount of RAM in your machine. I put 3 GB in mine and haven't looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlaefer View Post
After an hour it is about 250 MB and after a few hours it eats 500 MB +. I usually close it two or three times a day to get my RAM back.
same here on 10.4.11, Intel Mini.
à propos, i have max ram built in....

You might also try turning bookmark checking and syncing off, these can contribute to ram usage.

Clearing your history and keeping fewer days worth of history may also help.

Thanks Troy for the reply.

I have check bookmarks off by default, and leave 5 days for history. I also don't sync any bookmark locally, or use idisk. I will keep an eye on Ram usage still though. It does seem to ramp up fairly quickly.
I will clear up the history and see if this helps.