The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Line Style With no automatic Connections? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I often need to create lines for borders or headers and I use the line tool to do this. Seems logical. One ongoing annoyance is that these lines always have automatic connections turned on, and I have disable this to simply draw a straight line that connects where I want it to, rather than where Omnigraffle thinks it should.

I would add this to "favorite line styles", but it's disabled when I create a line like this. What gives? I hope the answer is not "create a stencil with lines of that style" because that's a "you're holding it wrong" answer.

Thanks for any help

It may be simpler to draw non-connecting lines on a separate layer above the shapes.

(If you lock the shape layer, and select the line layer above it, the new lines will not interact with the shapes while you draw them).

Could you be a little more specific about when the unwanted connections take place? I've never seen that happen while drawing with the option key held down.

Does it have to do with moving shapes around after the line is drawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gersh View Post
Could you be a little more specific about when the unwanted connections take place? I've never seen that happen while drawing with the option key held down.

Does it have to do with moving shapes around after the line is drawn?
Thanks to both of the above for replying.

Option 1 Above) I have to lock the layer and work on a new layer unnecessarily just to stop the default line from automatically connecting to shapes. But the properties of that line are still to make automatic connections, so any movement of an end point will automatically attempt to connect to a shape

Option 2 (John Gersh) - holding option will prevent line from initially connecting to a shape, but again the properties of the default line are still set to automatically connect. Therefore any movement of an end point will make the line jump to the nearest shape

It would be solved if I could just set my new line with the automatic connections turned off as a favorite line style, but the option is greyed out.

You should be able to Option-click the Line Tool to inspect it, and then turn off connections. I myself tend to have two favorite styles, one with no line endings for the non-connecting lines, and one with arrowheads for connecting lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
You should be able to Option-click the Line Tool to inspect it, and then turn off connections. I myself tend to have two favorite styles, one with no line endings for the non-connecting lines, and one with arrowheads for connecting lines.
Yes! That's it! Thank you very much Joel.