The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Have You Attempted a Weekly Review on the iPad? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I absolutely love the OF iPad app...

However am super curious as to if anyone has attempted to work solely off the iPad OF app instead of calling the OF app on the Mac "Home Base."

I tried to do my Weekly Review with the iPad app, though as much as I enjoy using this app, must admit I couldn't barrel through it. I'm not wanting to dumb down the app, not at all..I'm producing this thread for sake of congregating the minds of those who live off OF and want to reach a bit closer towards easier, smarter productivity.

Like I said, I love the OF iPad app. Though I use it everyday, I'll admit it has made me use the Mac version a bit more...only to make sure everything is running smoothly, plus i'll say that few keystrokes are more productive in the long run.....of which leads me to ask:

IF you have done the WR on the iPad, if you've used a wireless keyboard; if that makes it any easier?

I'd imagine it would immensely. Before running out and getting the bluetooth keyboard, I figured i'd ask this forum. I'm seriously considering purchasing the wireless keyboard. I'm even thought about ditching the Griffin Passport Elan i'm carrying the iPad around in and getting the InCase Travel Case that has a multiple slots for the iPad, wireless keyboard and other necessities.

Again, just thought i'd ask. In a way I feel that many of us, not just in the OmniFocus world but overall iPad ecosystem are natives in testing out how a tablet/different kind of computer will interact with us on a daily basis, and vice versa. I would love the OF iPad to replace my OF on Mac app...but perhaps its the years of having OF on my Mac that i've been accustomed to all this horsepower.:p

I now do all my reviewing on the iPad. I currently am in a period of slow productivity or a period where my tasks are currently well defined, so during my review process, I've not had to add too many additional items. With that in mind, the lack of proper keyboard has not been an issue.

Once OF iPad finally refreshed the review cycle on my reviews, I had a mountain of projects to review. I have taken the advice of someone on this forum to loosely assign a handful of prime number intervals to my different projects. This keeps the amount of stuff to review to a minimum and always keeps the list manageable.

Of course, now that I think of it, maybe I'm really doing a 2-3 day review cycle now instead of a weekly.

I must confess that before the iPad app, I never used the review functionality in the Mac edition. Sure, I'd give my projects a look and make sure they were in good shape, but I didn't find the review interface on the Mac all that helpful.

I think better on my couch, with the iPad (no keyboard) in my lap or hand. For me, reviewing is a 'lean back' activity, not a 'lean forward' one you do at a desk...

What Brian said. :)

What Brian and Gopi said!

I've used both Mac and iPhone apps since day one on each but I have to admit I used to be terrible at keeping on top of reviews until I got the iPad version. Now it's so easy to do my review I've already seen a huge improvement in my ability to work my system.

I have a little weekend ritual to go unwind in the coffee shop in my local Waterstones (large book store) on a Sunday afternoon. I'll get myself a large mug of coffee and a cake and go chill on the sofa with my iPad to do my weekly review and plan my 'big rocks' for the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK View Post
What Brian and Gopi said!

I've used both Mac and iPhone apps since day one on each but I have to admit I used to be terrible at keeping on top of reviews until I got the iPad version. Now it's so easy to do my review I've already seen a huge improvement in my ability to work my system.

Same here and I believe that it's completely psychological but I find doing certain things on the iPad (in this case OF weekly review) simply engenders better focus.

My one gripe with OF4iPad review is the inability to lock the review period to a specific day, but the workaround of setting the review period to 3-4 days should work quite well for me.

I'd also like to have the 'option' to filter out on-hold projects and believe it should be an option in 'Settings' because some users prefer the current method.

Lastly, during review I'd prefer to be able to hide actions with contexts assigned on a per project basis. In general if it has a context assigned to it, I'm actively working it and don't need to see it cluttering up activities requiring legitimate review. However, I can also imagine that with sequential projects I'd actually prefer to see these items during review (I don't currently have any active sequential projects, but it's inevitable). It's because both scenarios can be simultaneously applicable that I believe this setting should be a 'per project' attribute.

Kind regards,

James

I had to turn in my MacBook to AppleCare last night and only had two hours to get to the apple store to drop it off, so I began my weekly review on the iPad. For a thorough, in depth review the iPad insisted with too many finger taps, while perhaps due to having the Mac version for years now it allowed me to quickly create and modify prOjects all around.

I do believe the iPad version is great for reviews, but personally only if I don't have 100+ inbox items to process. When it's time to simPly Scan and modify a few items then the MacBook is a power house.

Nevertheless, I dropped off my MacBook with Apple and will continue to use both the iPad and iPod app till I get my MacBook back.

I've found the iPad app to be very well structured and laid out, though currently believe I am subconsciously struggling to simply just tackle next actions.....

...but that's another story.

I've got to the point that my weekly review is only done on my iPad. The review functionality, like mentioned before, seems so much more in tune with how I want to do my review. I'll admit I do varying degrees of my WR. Some weeks it's Sunday afternoon on the couch sitting next to my kids while they watch a movie. On the other end of the spectrum is when my iPad is on a stand with a BT keyboard and I use my Mac. Those are the WR when I feel I need to do more collecting and processing.

Ditto to the above - I do all my reviews on my iPad. Haven't quite got into the habit of making them weekly yet (sometimes I set a task to do the review, how sad is that?) but the iPad works great.

I use OF for iPad to coordinate my notes and note-taking workflows with other apps so it's really useful for me to see if I need to outline some research a week earlier than I'd originally thought.

I've found weekly reviews on the iPad to be very useful. I definitely find review to be best done away from my usual work area.

On issue I have is that I've not found an easy way to make bulk changes to review periods or to change the default review period. I'd like to change all the things I want to review weekly to 3-4 days as suggested by jwhitetoo. I usually aim for a Monday review, but various things cause me to miss it. If I do the review later in the week it seems like I need to skip a week of review later which is annoying.