The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Syncing through USB Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello everyone, I was wondering if there is any way to synchronize Omnifocus on my Iphone with my mac using the USB cable.

In the same way that my iphone calendars and addressbook is synced everytime I connect it using USB I would be very happy to see a possible non-wireless synchronization feature.

I use Omnifocus on my mac all the time, i bought omnifocus for Iphone looking for a complete seamless integration wich I haven't found yet…

Would appreciate any advise on that matter,
Thanks a lot a greetings from Spain!

No, Apple doesn't permit any third party apps to make use of the USB connection at all. You can only synch via either a local Wi-Fi network using Bonjour or remotely via Wi-Fi or 3G/EDGE/GPRS.

I see, that's a pity, doesn't it? hope we could get that functionality soon. thanks!

Why do you want to be forced to use the cable? Bonjour sync works great in my experience, and I'm not sure how a hard-wired connection would improve it in any of the ways where it might be less than perfect. I spend most of my time being delighted that I can sync OmniFocus even when I've forgotten that pesky cable, unlike iTunes!

What specific deficiencies have you found that you hope might be improved upon?

I understand that at the moment wont be a much demanded feature in omni, in my case I dont work in a wireless environment and in some way I like the idea of a one-sync-for-everything approach, I have to hook my iphone to a cable to recharge it anyway, why not "recharging" (including data-recharge) at once? The main reason I bought an Iphone was precisely this, a seamless no brainer mac sync and charging feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What specific deficiencies have you found that you hope might be improved upon?
It could be helpful for people with an iPod touch rather than an iPhone, if their workplace doesn't permit them to connect their device via a Wi-Fi network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
It could be helpful for people with an iPod touch rather than an iPhone, if their workplace doesn't permit them to connect their device via a Wi-Fi network.
But even in that case you could set up an "impromptu" computer-to-computer network on your Mac that doesn't use your employer's Wi-Fi network at all. You don't even need to be on a network of any kind. So USB still isn't necessary.

-Dennis

Unnecessary, yes, but it would still be helpful .... anyway, at this time it is a moot point, as Apple just isn't going to let this happen for some time to come, if ever.