The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What's the benefit of MobileMe w/ OmniFocus? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Isnt it only calendar (and contacts) being able to sync with your desktop?

It would be nice if this can be clearly explained. Thanks.

JD

If you only use OmniFocus on the phone, then having a MobileMe (or other WebDAV) account and configuring OmniFocus to sync to it means that if something happens to your phone (gets lost, breaks, etc) or to the data on your phone (a bug in Apple's update mechanism has cost some people their app data when they upgraded to newer versions of iPhone apps, for instance), then you can retrieve your data by syncing it down from the server.

If you also use OmniFocus on a Mac, then having a MobileMe (or other WebDAV) account and configuring OmniFocus to sync to it allows you to share your data between OmniFocus on your phone and OmniFocus on your Mac.

So to sync my OmniFocus on my iPhone to my Google calendar, I do the following?:

1. Push my data from OmniFocus to MobileMe
2. Sync my MobileMe with my iCal
3. Sync my iCal with my Google Calendar using Nuevasync (or something of the sort, BusySync, etc.)

Would this work? Is this the only (easiest) way? Do i need to sync with iCal on a regular mac?

Thanks

JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
If you only use OmniFocus on the phone, then having a MobileMe (or other WebDAV) account and configuring OmniFocus to sync to it means that if something happens to your phone (gets lost, breaks, etc) or to the data on your phone (a bug in Apple's update mechanism has cost some people their app data when they upgraded to newer versions of iPhone apps, for instance), then you can retrieve your data by syncing it down from the server.

If you also use OmniFocus on a Mac, then having a MobileMe (or other WebDAV) account and configuring OmniFocus to sync to it allows you to share your data between OmniFocus on your phone and OmniFocus on your Mac.

No, that won't work. Only OmniFocus for Mac can sync with iCal. MobileMe just sees your OmniFocus data as a big blob of bits, not something it can turn into a calendar. So you'd need:
0) Sync OmniFocus for iPhone to MobileMe (or some other WebDAV)
1) Sync OmniFocus for Mac to the same WebDAV
2) Sync OmniFocus for Mac to iCal
3) Sync iCal to Google Calendar