The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Want objs close to their child but automatic prefers top-most position w/ huge lines Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I will try to describe my problem: I have a diagram with about 800 objects in a top-down hierarchichal automatic layout. As the diagram grew vertically, objects with no parents are placed close to the top, hugely and inconveniently stretching the single connections to their only child down in the diagram. I actually am not sure if this started happening after the diagram grew tall or after I upgraded to 5.1.1.

There is plenty of room close to the child but the automatic layout seems to prefer placing them on top. If I try and force a second, invisible arrow to the child, to strengthen the link, it drags the child up instead of bringing the parent down.

It is important for my purposes that, in general, connections are the shortest possible, for ease of association for the reader. Does anyone know of a way of working this around?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Connections too long.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	912  

What settings have you chosen in the Diagram Layout tab of the Canvas inspector?

Hi, like I said, top-down hierarchical automatic layout.

Thanks in advance for the attention,
Marcelo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	layout settings.png
Views:	482
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	913  

You may want to select those single-child parents and set their default rank (it's the series of buttons at the bottom of the Diagram Layout Inspector) to Maximum (third from the left), that should get them to "live" further on down in the hierarchy.

Hope that helps,