The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Student Inquiry Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am going to be starting college in the fall and I own OmniOutliner Pro. I am planning to use it for note taking. Are their any other students that have tips for using OOP as a students? Is there anything else you use it for?

I didn't discover Outliner until after college, but I used Outliner taking notes at the WWDC conference a month ago. I just created a separate top-level session I attended. You'll probably want a separate file for each class you're taking.

Some profs are great at organizing lectures into outlines -- they'll make it easy. Other profs will wander all over the place -- for these ones, don't let an obsession about keeping your notes in neat hierarchy keep you from getting down all the info. Go back after class and reorganize it into pretty note form. (It doesn't hurt to review your notes a couple hours after class anyhow -- it'll help you move it from short to long-term memory.)

If you've got Graffle or some other drawing app that works as a LinkBack server, keep that handy too. When a prof starts drawing a graph (econ, chemistry, etc.), switch over to the drawing graph, and sketch it up. Then when you clean up your notes, you can attach it to your outline. It'll show up as a plain old image (pdf maybe, or jpeg? I forget.), but you can use the context menu on the image to re-launch the app you used to create the image in the first place. Then you can tweak it and close it, and your outline will be automatically updated. But all the data's still stored and displayed in your outliner file.

I am currently a senior in college, and while I only know what things are like at my school, I am going to predict you won't end up bringing a computer to class. Except maybe for a big lecture gen-ed requirement like psychology or economics or something.

The best thing I do with Outliner is to make outlines of course material before an exam, whether it be by going through my notebook or PowerPoint slides if the professor provides them. Sometimes I tend to write a little too in detail, in which case I just hit the triangle and make everything below the topic hide away. I then print out the outlines and just read them over. People usually comment on how cool the printout is and ask me how I did it. Yeah, I'm awesome.