The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Batch updates Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would also like to know if it's possible to make batch changes to actions - to the dates, contexts etc? The inspector won't allow selection of more than one action at a time... and nor will it allow the selection of all actions in a project.

For example if a project deadline gets put forward/back, I would like to know if it's possible to change all of the actions' due dates at once, either by selecting them all and picking a new date, or (even better) selecting them all and -/+ 7d to the due date!

This seems to me to be a very basic function but despite trying many things and searching the forums I can't find any solution - can anyone help?

Thanks
Schnack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnack View Post
The inspector won't allow selection of more than one action at a time... and nor will it allow the selection of all actions in a project.
? It seems to for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
? It seems to for me.
Well I'm in the DUE perspective and it will not let me select more than 1 item using the usual keystrokes - cmd-click or uppercase-click for a range of items. Cmd-A works to select all the items but I don't want all the items, just some of them!

Am I being a dimwit?

I can't think of what would cause that. It works fine for me in that same perspective using those same key modifiers.

Edit: Actually, I have an idea: try to click on them over by their bullet, rather than on the text. I bet that will work.

Thanks Craig - bizarre indeed! Support ninjas here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Edit: Actually, I have an idea: try to click on them over by their bullet, rather than on the text. I bet that will work.
A-ha! It's the little things that escape us! Strange quirk of the programmers but it certainly does work. Thanks again for your help! (support ninjas: at ease)

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnack View Post
A-ha! It's the little things that escape us! Strange quirk of the programmers but it certainly does work. Thanks again for your help! (support ninjas: at ease)
In OmniFocus (and OmniOutliner too), there are two ways to select rows:
  1. Click anywhere in the title of an item and you immediately go into edit mode for the title.
  2. Click on the bullet (aka "row handle") to manipulate the entire row for selection, moving, duplicating, deleting, etc.

The huge advantage of this approach is that editing row content becomes as simple and natural as editing lines in a text file:
  • single-click to place your cursor (instead of the double-click required by apps like Things)
  • single-click and drag to select a range of text in the row
  • when in edit mode you can use the arrow keys to move up and down between rows or backspace from one row right back through to the previous row
  • hitting return gives you a new row/item (like adding a new line in a text editor).

As a result, editing in OmniFocus or OmniOutliner feels more like you're working with a document in a text editor than manipulating a clumsy database interface.

The trade-off, of course, is that many other apps lack this usability advantage, so many people need to get used to it. But once you do, editing a large number of items feels amazingly light and comforting. :-)

BTW, you can actually select rows in OmniFocus by clicking anywhere to the left of the checkbox -- it doesn't have to be right on the row handle. Also, for moving rows, you can actually drag from anywhere on the row, including the title area. You just need to make sure to click and hold for the drag; if you release your mouse/trackpad, the title area goes into edit mode.

Hope this helps.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2010-02-10 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: clarified wording