The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Plugins - Site specific preferences? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Im curious, I set up a workspace (Lessons) with many tabs with pages (same site) saved on my local disk and i disable JavaScript (because the pages log me out after 1 minute) i can do this by using Site Specific Preferences, which work great. I have another Workspace for General browsing, so in the main global preferences i have JavaScript enabled. At the moment however, i have Flash and Quicktime plugins Disabled because my "Lessons" workspace site always launches Quicktime in the background.

Is there a way to enable some Plugins for my "General" workspace and have them disabled for my "Lessons" workspace? I don't see the controls for controlling plugins in the Site specific preferences pane.

Maybe there is a solution?

Oh and i notice an issue, when i launch OW with my "Lessons" Workspace, then look at the Plugins preference, the list is populated.

When i switch to my "General" Workspace, and quit OW then relaunch this "General" workspace as expected loads, BUT, when i open preferences and look at the plugins only 2 plugins are listed :

Chax.Bundle (which incidentally says its Loaded tho it is NOT Checked !! )
Smart Crash Reports.bundle

Nothing else is listed as is in the "Lessons" workspace.

Strange this is 5.5.4-beta-1-v607.16 however.

Chax and Smart Crash Reports are Input Managers which are loaded by every Application on your system until they are uninstalled.

They are not Internet Plugins, they are Input Manager Plugins.

Smart Crash Reports has own site which explains better:
http://www.smartcrashreports.com

It comes with Unsanity Applications by default since Unsanity and their fans got nuts about getting APE blamed for every single problem on OS. So, if an APE or SCR enabled Application crashes, crash report is sent to developer too along with Apple. More interestingly, if there is an application enhancer crashing the Application or system, Unsanity and user will hear about it too...

Some people hate them, some don't, I like Smart Crash Reports since I found out Apple does nothing about the crash report and developer can't access his/her own crash report unless he/she works for a billion dollar Adobe or Microsoft.

Oh Chax "enhances" iChat with tabs etc.

Some words you will hear about InputManager issues is not about the insecurity of these plugins or developers, it is the directories default rights which is (really) insecure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilgaz
Some people hate them, some don't, I like Smart Crash Reports since I found out Apple does nothing about the crash report and developer can't access his/her own crash report unless he/she works for a billion dollar Adobe or Microsoft.
Just to clarify that - Apple doesn't do anything about crash reports for third party apps. One assumes that they must do something with crash reports for Apple apps.

FWIW, there is also nothing to stop you from sending the default system crash reports to developers yourself (just open the Report when the crash dialogue appears and copy/paste it to an e-mail, or view the log in Console and send it via e-mail).

I have a plugins problem, that QuickTime is not working in OW at all. Looking at the Plug-ins Preferences, it shows "QuickTime Plugin.plugin" as registered and ticked, "QuickTime Plugin.webplugin" ticked and registered, and "QuickTime Plugin.webplugin" again, ticked and loaded. They all have the same path, the first two carry the same info about function and information on the Apple website, but QuickTime movies don't run in OW, though, judging by WAN activity on my ADSL modem, they apparently download.

Anyone any idea why it isn't working?
Mark

I think Forresst also had this problem once - you should only have the one QuickTime Plugin.webplugin in the list. Check your /Library/Internet Plugins and ~/Library/Internet Plugin folders to see if you have more than one copy of the plug-in in either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
I think Forresst also had this problem once - you should only have the one QuickTime Plugin.webplugin in the list. Check your /Library/Internet Plugins and ~/Library/Internet Plugin folders to see if you have more than one copy of the plug-in in either.
Thanks for the response JKT. I have one QuickTime Plugin.plugin and one QuickTime Plugin.webplugin in /Library/Internet Plugins/, but nothing in ~/Library/Internet Plugins/.
Should I get rid of one of those, since one is .plugin and one is .webplugin and if so which?
On a similar score, Flash Player 9 is not working either in OW ... though it seems to be in Safari and in Opera ... is this a similar kind of situation?
Thanks again.
Mark

I honestly don't know - I have both those and no issues with playback. Flash has always worked fine for me (latest plug-in)... that is, when I actually allow it to be displayed ;)

Try temporarily moving the Quicktime and Flash plug-ins out of the /Library/Internet Plugins folder to e.g. the desktop. Quit OmniWeb if it was open, then re-launch it with the plug-ins absent from the folder - do they disappear from the list in preferences? If so, quit OmniWeb again and add the plugins back. Does this restore functionality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Just to clarify that - Apple doesn't do anything about crash reports for third party apps. One assumes that they must do something with crash reports for Apple apps.

FWIW, there is also nothing to stop you from sending the default system crash reports to developers yourself (just open the Report when the crash dialogue appears and copy/paste it to an e-mail, or view the log in Console and send it via e-mail).
It is not convenient for lazy types like me :) In fact it is not convenient for end users, some people have never seen their crash reports log directory in their lives.

You know what? If Omni's own crash reporter was freely available to (freeware/opensource) developers, it is the most paranoia free way of reporting crashes to developers since it is sending via plain e-mail. I would also add the excellent Omni software update check.

I heard Apple really cares to share when a third party App makes horrible wrong use of a Framework and there is a risk of system wide crash because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
IIRC, troyb said that it may show up twice, but it's really only there once. I think if I disabled it and restarted OW, both were disabled.