The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do you move the checkboxes to the correct side? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just a quick question. Occasionally I have some long (dozen plus) lists of one word items or actions. It can be a bit of a pain trying to figure out which checkbox corresponds to which item when they are floating out at the right a full screen away. Is there a setting to fix this? The desktop and iPod Touch versions have the checkboxes by the item which seems like the natural way to do it. I'm holding off on making comments on the new UI until some of it is fixed but while overall the iPad version is much less usable (by degrees) this checkbox issue has been annoying me quite a bit.

Let me know if it's just something I'm missing.

I don't think that's possible with this version. The rows you see in your project or context views are using table cells that the Omni guys designed and coded into the program. I doubt if they included any user preferences for switching left/right side for the checkboxes, as this would screw up the layout of their big colourful boxes and stuff.

That's pretty much what I was afraid of. I knew there wasn't a section for OmniFocus under the iPad settings and I didn't think I'd missed anything in the program. I guess for the time being I'll just need to type garbage characters (------) on every other line or so to make my lists easier to read. This isn't really a problem for my normal workflow (apart from being opposite from every other OmniFocus program) just really makes the occasional lists awkward to manage.

And I have submitted a bug report / feature request. I think, overall, I'm holding out hope that a fair amount of the interface ends up more like the desktop and iPod Touch (iPhone) versions in future updates. I've waited this long for the iPad version I guess I'll keep waiting to see how the program develops.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rael View Post

And I have submitted a bug report / feature request. I think, overall, I'm holding out hope that a fair amount of the interface ends up more like the desktop and iPod Touch (iPhone) versions in future updates. I've waited this long for the iPad version I guess I'll keep waiting to see how the program develops.

Thanks for the reply.
I for one think that unless iPhone or Mac uses the similar OS, form factor, and user interface, I don't think it will happen or should happen.

One of the biggest failings of MS or other companies in the past was to bring the same PC interface to their tablet and phones. Apple got it right this time realizing that different form factors and mobility requires different mindset and user interface.

Therefore, I don't expect OF for iPhone and OF for iPad (or Mac for that matter) to have the same features or identical interface. In fact, that would be a disaster in my book in the current iteration. Of course, things might change in the future.

I'm certainly not implying they should all 3 be identical. I'm not complaining that this wasn't a universal app. I'm not even saying that it's inherently bad. I am having a bit of a problem with a third version coming out that deliberately breaks established UI conventions (established for OmniFocus) seemingly for no other reason than to be different. I don't know if this will be changed. I don't know if I'll just adapt to switching my thinking back and forth depending on the platform I'm using. I'm just mentioning the most obnoxious (to me) change to the software and asking if I missed something.

For what it's worth; I've purchased pretty much everything Omni Group has developed and I've been genuinely happy with the way the programs all just get out of your way and let you do what you need to do (very Apple-like to borrow a phrase). OmniFocus for iPad is the first of their programs that I really find myself fighting on a day to day basis (yes it hasn't been that many days yet). I am hopeful there will be continued polishing and refinement and this will truly be an app that was worth the wait. While waiting I've also extensively used Things and ToDo both of which have their pros and cons but I keep coming back to OmniFocus mainly for the sync with MobileMe and the overall quality of the company (still wish scheduled tasks worked on the iPad / iPod but that's a different discussion).

To all, please don't mistake my post for random bitching and moaning. I absolutely think the iPad interface offers different challenges and rewards and the apps should do everything they can to capitalize on those differences (having already purchased two and never being more than arm's length from one, I "get" the iPad). I think OmniFocus for iPad is o.k. and maybe on it's way to being great it just didn't feel "right" to me right out of the gate. Perhaps my expectations were too high after a month of waiting.

Forgive my near rant. This may be the app / program that I use the most in my day to day and I really do want to love it.

I think you will find that Omni placed the checkboxes on the right hand side because that is where your thumb is. Just tap. No need to move your hand from the side of your iPad.

It works for me :)

Quote:
I'm certainly not implying they should all 3 be identical. I'm not complaining that this wasn't a universal app. I'm not even saying that it's inherently bad. I am having a bit of a problem with a third version coming out that deliberately breaks established UI conventions (established for OmniFocus) seemingly for no other reason than to be different. I don't know if this will be changed. I don't know if I'll just adapt to switching my thinking back and forth depending on the platform I'm using. I'm just mentioning the most obnoxious (to me) change to the software and asking if I missed something.

For what it's worth; I've purchased pretty much everything Omni Group has developed and I've been genuinely happy with the way the programs all just get out of your way and let you do what you need to do (very Apple-like to borrow a phrase). OmniFocus for iPad is the first of their programs that I really find myself fighting on a day to day basis (yes it hasn't been that many days yet). I am hopeful there will be continued polishing and refinement and this will truly be an app that was worth the wait. While waiting I've also extensively used Things and ToDo both of which have their pros and cons but I keep coming back to OmniFocus mainly for the sync with MobileMe and the overall quality of the company (still wish scheduled tasks worked on the iPad / iPod but that's a different discussion).

To all, please don't mistake my post for random bitching and moaning. I absolutely think the iPad interface offers different challenges and rewards and the apps should do everything they can to capitalize on those differences (having already purchased two and never being more than arm's length from one, I "get" the iPad). I think OmniFocus for iPad is o.k. and maybe on it's way to being great it just didn't feel "right" to me right out of the gate. Perhaps my expectations were too high after a month of waiting.

Forgive my near rant. This may be the app / program that I use the most in my day to day and I really do want to love it.
Hello, I don't think anyone thought you did. Yes, this is way different from iPhone and especially from Mac. However, more I use the program, more I like the interface. Is it perfect? No, but it doesn't get in the way of my planning and getting things done unlike some other programs.

I remember listening to songs that are way different, or looking at paintings that I had a negative reaction intially. Some of these songs and paintings have grown on me after multiple listening and seeing, and now some of them are my favorite.

Perhaps this is where you might need to use the program for a few weeks to get used to the different feel.

I also remember getting the iPhone and trying to get used to the virtual keyboard (former Blackberry and Palm Treo user here), and now I can't go back to the physical keyboard. I love the virtual keyboard - I can type faster and it puts less stress on my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post
I think you will find that Omni placed the checkboxes on the right hand side because that is where your thumb is. Just tap. No need to move your hand from the side of your iPad.
That's why we did it. Finger-poking in the middle of the screen in landscape orientation was too slow and fiddly.

O.K. I heard that from support as well but I'm still not sure I get the decision process. I'm right handed so I hold the iPad in my left hand and use the fingers on my right hand to interface with the device (thumb is pretty rare). I don't really use landscape orientation very often. I guess I use it if I'm really using the menu / selector area heavily but generally I just want to see what I'm working with right now not the clutter down the left side (this goes for many apps, not meant to be overly negative or directed solely at OF). That and the fact that portrait generally is more comfortable for me while I'm working.

I guess I can almost see it if one would hold it in both hands like a steering wheel then the right thumb / right orientation makes some sense but I'm usually using my right hand for other things as well (mousing, typing, jotting down notes, phone calls, etc.).

Long story short, I'm pretty much going to drop it at this point as the different checkbox orientation isn't even necessarily that big of a complaint of mine. It was clearly a design decision, I don't 100% agree with it but it's not the end of the world. I'll either use the program or not. I'm not sorry I spent the money and I will continue to watch how it develops. And lest I sound completely negative; I do love the Forecast functionality, Review works very well on the iPad and syncing has been fairly bulletproof for me. This IS the program I'm using now and I don't absolutely hate it it's just maybe a 4 instead of 5 star for me.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Quote:
O.K. I heard that from support as well but I'm still not sure I get the decision process. I'm right handed so I hold the iPad in my left hand and use the fingers on my right hand to interface with the device (thumb is pretty rare). I don't really use landscape orientation very often. I guess I use it if I'm really using the menu / selector area heavily but generally I just want to see what I'm working with right now not the clutter down the left side (this goes for many apps, not meant to be overly negative or directed solely at OF). That and the fact that portrait generally is more comfortable for me while I'm working.

I guess I can almost see it if one would hold it in both hands like a steering wheel then the right thumb / right orientation makes some sense but I'm usually using my right hand for other things as well (mousing, typing, jotting down notes, phone calls, etc.).

Thanks for everyone's input.
Interesting. For exception of reading books using iBooks, I'm in my landscape mode 100% of the time to take advantage of the bigger screen real estate (sideways).