The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Possible to search Action text containing text value? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In another thread there is a lot of discussion about multiple contexts / action item. It's something I find useful, so with that currently not implemented I would like to find an alternate way to list actions that naturally fall into more than one context.

One method that I could use is to put the names of persons into the Action's text description, and filter by a person's name.

A simple example is that in order to always ensure I can find activities relating to my friend "Sheryl", I could just specifiy the item's text in ways like "Phone Sheryl regarding new restaurant".

Then at least I would be able to filter by the string "Sheryl" to get all activities involving her, and could then put the activity into one of the other contexts that the item naturally falls into.

I was just experimenting with exactly this. I was using tags in () written in the notes of the action (Phone, Sheryl).

Using the search field does find these (not surprising) but it is also saved with a perspective, which has the potential to make it even more useful.

This seems to me the best workaround for the absence of multiple contexts, the main thing it lacks is the smart matching.

-P

Kind of like putting tags in Spotlight comments. Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptone View Post
I was just experimenting with exactly this. I was using tags in () written in the notes of the action (Phone, Sheryl).

Using the search field does find these (not surprising) but it is also saved with a perspective, which has the potential to make it even more useful.

This seems to me the best workaround for the absence of multiple contexts, the main thing it lacks is the smart matching.
-P
Thanks for this! I didn't know that such a search method is already part of OF. I am going to do extensive testing of this to see if it can help with multiple contexts.