The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Control shadow of Shape Text? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I want my shapes to have shadows (can be done), but I don't want the shape's text to have its own shadow (seems this cannot be done properly).

Make a circle, type some text into. Any text that spills outside the circle boundary gets a shadow, but the text in the circle does not. This makes it difficult to have a shape whose text has a "Text Offset" to position it outside its shape, while using shadows.

Any chance I am missing something?

Thanks!

Yes.

1 Make a circle, Don't type some text into it. Give it a shadow.
2 Use the Text tool, type some text on the canvas. this will give you a text label or box with only two handles (instead of 8 for a shape). Do not give it a shadow.
3 Place the text ribbon on or near the circle, position it relative to the circle.
4 Give the text ribbon a Fill if you want the text which crosses the stroke of the circle to have a clear path (without the stroke running through the text).
5 Group the circle and the text ribbon.

Now you can copy/paste the Group anywhere you like. It will move, etc as a Group. To access the elements of the Group, click once (select the group), click twice (select the object in the next layer of the group). That's two separate clicks, not a double-click. Once you have selected the circle or the text element with the group, you can manipulate each separately; change the content, properties, etc.

Cheers

Thank you! I keep forgetting how easy it is to manipulate individual elements in a group.

My pleasure.

Um, you need to check for responses in your "Custom Line Endings" thread.