The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Real life use cases/workflows? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Not a bad point. If it would be useful to show items on all the days between their start and due dates, we can certainly consider that! Interested parties should email the support ninjas and let them know they'd like to see that added.
I guess coming back around - perhaps the issue isn't that this is something that should be changed in forecast, it's just that forecast may not be terribly useful as a default view. Rather it seems to me to be functionally powerful as a deadline review tool. One option I could see being useful, based on some other comments in this thread, is to have it toggle the daily count showing just the number of projects that have due items - because in a way, I see it more as a project oriented feature. For instance, if I have 10 actions due on a Friday over 3 projects, I only see a count of 3. Even if say one of those projects is only partially due, I like to see that there is a deadline relating to work on that project.

That said, if there were a way to make the interface intuitive to show all active actions, there still would be the issue of actions that have no dates set (quite a few of mine are like this). For instance, what about repeating actions that have no due dates? They will never show up in forecast. Or perhaps activating the view (eye) icon would help give back flexibility here, where tasks like that are put in a future state.

For something like this I'm going to refrain from making suggestions to the support staff (already made a handful). I'd rather see it hashed out on a public forum first, because these could lead to big functional changes I'm not sure are quite correct, being the GTD neophyte and all :)

Last edited by brandall10; 2010-08-05 at 09:26 AM..

Quote:
Not a bad point. If it would be useful to show items on all the days between their start and due dates, we can certainly consider that! Interested parties should email the support ninjas and let them know they'd like to see that added.
I've had these same issues using the Forecast and would love to see an implementation of showing items on all days between their start dates and due dates. This would, however, add significant "clutter" if there are many such items. I think making this an option that could be toggled on/off would allow individual users the choice.

Also, if the items were shown, but gray in the lists until the current day was within the "due soon" range of their due date (and then turned orange) it would help identify all the things you might chose to work on on a given day and those whose due dates are near (of course if you choose a week as "due soon" they would all be orange).

I know using other views that I can see these tasks after their start date (or before depending on how things are filtered), but their absence from the Forecast view can be disorienting or confusing. For those who only want to use the forecast to see upcoming due dates, they could toggle off the viewing of these tasks on days other than the due date. For those who use forecast more as another filter for viewing task list (a more date oriented view) then the task showing up between start and due would be nice.

I'm not sure which workflow I'll settle on, but the showing of tasks beginning on their start date in the forecast view would make it more functional in my view.

Quote:
I think the real problem is that the due date is something different from the date you plan to actually do that thing.

During my weekly review many times I found items that I like to do in the next week, particularly in some day when I think I have time/context to do them, but I don't want to mark them as due in that day, because for me a due date is a real deadline.

Yes, I know, I should put those items on the calendar, but I think that OF (mac version) is very better than any calendar application to track things to do (the sort of things that would stay in the "all day" section of a calendar).

The workaround for me is to set the review date for the project that cointains the action I want to do to the date I'd like to do that action, since I do a daily review, and during it that project with that action will show up in the morning, and I will flag it (I use flags to mark actions I want to do today)

But I'd really like another date field, not start, not due, just "on": those items should be synced within the calendar, for the folks that like to have all the stuff they need to do (things and appointments) in just one place.

Bye,
Francesco

Last edited by magobaol; 2010-08-05 at 02:41 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by magobaol View Post
But I'd really like another date field, not start, not due, just "on": those items should be synced within the calendar, for the folks that like to have all the stuff they need to do (things and appointments) in just one place.
Wow, this is a brilliant idea! This allows people to assign an "on-date" to actions during their daily and weekly reviews and makes workarounds like flagging or 5m-durations for your "today" list unnecessary. I vote for this too!

And while this is a great idea for all platforms (Mac, iPad, iPhone), I would say it is most relevant to add this to the iPad first because of the forecast view.