The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Been using Things and thinking of switching to OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been using "Things" for a while and have been thinking of switching to OmniFocus.. why should I make the switch?

There are many threads in the forums regarding the relative merits of OmniFocus and Things. I'd recommend searching the forums for more info.

Indeed, many comments are available but I'd like to add one advantage.

OF can do what Things does but Things can't do what OF does. As simple as that.

No contest!

I used Things for some time but it did not take long, on using OF, to see what Mango Himself says below.

The iPad version is amazing and in some ways is better than the Mac version.

Finally the OF support is speedy in response and patient when dealing with users.

Take the plunge D37, you will not regret it!

Peter H

Don't have much experience with Things, admittedly, but I never gave it a serious chance because it soon became evident that it is not nearly as powerful as OF.

Things has many attractive features, but OF has as well and is more powerful in terms of ability to customize and more efficient in terms of data entry/manipulation.

However, I would summarize my experience as such:

I was doing more to work around the program's limitations in Things rather than getting things done, whereas I'm getting more of my things done with OF than focusing on OF.

Of all the talk of simplicity of Things, I have to say it made my life more complicated for me.

Need I say more?

I abandoned Things in favor of Omnifocus. Never looked back.

Honestly there would only be a few valid reasons for switching in my opinion:
. Cloud Syncing (it just works)
. Context View (sometimes I like reviewing by contexts instead of Projects and Areas)
. Customizable Fonts
. Better feature parity across the product line
. Multi Task & Project view within the app (you need to Print to see this in Things)

Again these are just my opinions. I really like Things and hope their Cloud and Collaboration tools do what I hope they do.

One great thing about both apps though is that if you have your GTD system down moving from one app to the other is pretty simple. Both apps are great but both have their unique issues.

Cheers,
-policarpo | GTD2CYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
Honestly there would only be a few valid reasons for switching in my opinion:
. Cloud Syncing (it just works)
. Context View (sometimes I like reviewing by contexts instead of Projects and Areas)
. Customizable Fonts
. Better feature parity across the product line
. Multi Task & Project view within the app (you need to Print to see this in Things)

Again these are just my opinions. I really like Things and hope their Cloud and Collaboration tools do what I hope they do.

One great thing about both apps though is that if you have your GTD system down moving from one app to the other is pretty simple. Both apps are great but both have their unique issues.

Cheers,
-policarpo | GTD2CYA
Actually, there are quite a few more. Just a few that are important in my use:

1. Subprojects or Action Groups
2. Repeating tasks assigned to projects
3. Ability to sort projects and assign different status categories to projects (Things can hide project by making it inactive, but don't have other choices)

Those are just for Things for Mac. Don't get me started on iPhone or iPad since they are even more incomplete in terms of features in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Actually, there are quite a few more. Just a few that are important in my use:

1. Subprojects or Action Groups
2. Repeating tasks assigned to projects
3. Ability to sort projects and assign different status categories to projects (Things can hide project by making it inactive, but don't have other choices)

Those are just for Things for Mac. Don't get me started on iPhone or iPad since they are even more incomplete in terms of features in my book.
1. I go back and forth on this...Sometimes I feel that nested items tend to get lost in the review process so I end up flattening things. But having the option is nice.

2. Yeah, it's a shame that it's only supported on the desktop.

3. I like the Inactive aspect of Things and that it lives in Someday, but you can get this view via Perspectives.

It's a shame that the dev cycle over @ CC is so long and slow and not very revealing to their customers, because hand down, they have the nicest UI around of the GTD apps...but without hitting all cylinders with regards to features, it's a tough sell. I open it ever few weeks thinking that I am going to get back into it, but I ended up reminding myself of this and that which annoys me...oh well...I guess we obsess over the things we care about...

-policarpo | GTD2CYA