The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omniweb as a default browser for Apple Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Why Omniweb isn't the default browser for Apple?
Safari is very good but I still do not understand? Can somebody explain the history?
Thanx a lot :)

I think that day is far off. Why would Apple replace its own browser with a third party browser? I find it interesting that you don't understand that.

While I think it very unlikely to happen in this particular instance, Apple has bought outside applications and technologies and incorporated them into their subsequent offerings. iTunes and Coverflow come to mind as two notable examples. For that matter, Safari and OmniWeb are both built on WebKit which was derived from the sources for another browser not built at Apple...

They will not abandon Safari.

If memory serves, OW wasn't built on webkit until after Safari was released (imho though they abandoned a better render engine for a ride to the future)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rje View Post
I think that day is far off. Why would Apple replace its own browser with a third party browser? I find it interesting that you don't understand that.
To give him credit, Apple use to use IE as their standard until Safari, so who's to say they wont do it again?

Now to explain why they will not leave the Safari name behind. Safari is on Window's and Mac, with tons of users. Omniweb, being strictly for Mac, limit's its users which means less reasons for developers to test for it's rendering engine to ensure it renders their web site correctly. Now yes, Omniweb is the mos advanced web browser I have ever seen with every rendering engine you could ever need built in, but Apple has poured a lot of work in Safari and they aren't going to abandon it. Which is good for us, because we don't want web developers to EVER get lazy and only code for IE again. That was just a horrible thing and I am glad few web developers still do it.