The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parent/Child contexts and waiting Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So I have a group of tasks with 1 parent/multiple children, in a project, that is sequential. Each task has its own proper context, all of which are active. Here's my problem;

The project isn't on hold, I have other tasks/groups within the project that can be worked on - so the project status is active

This particular group of sequential tasks can't be started and shouldn't be available, until I get an email back confirming to go ahead with this part of the project. I would like all the task to have their correct contexts, which are all active. I don't want to put a start date in to make them inactive as I don't know exactly when I will get a reply, could be tomorrow, could be in two weeks. I've found if I manually assign a "on hold" context to the parent by right clicking, only the parent will become inactive, and only in context mode. In planning the parent and the first sequential item are still active.

Is there a way to put a group on hold within a project? I don't know if something recently changed but i've never seemed to have this problem before, and never noticed the parent action doesn't have a context (or a viewable one in planning mode at least), maybe just never came up or has something changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavric View Post
So I have a group of tasks with 1 parent/multiple children, in a project, that is sequential. ... This particular group of sequential tasks can't be started and shouldn't be available, until I get an email back confirming to go ahead with this part of the project. ...
AFAIK, Groups within Projects cannot themselves be put On Hold. Two suggestions come to mind here.

A) Create an appropriate action that has a Waiting On or SomeOne or other such context as the "gatekeeper" task to start the group.

Project A
- Group 1 (sequential)
-- send notice to start this work group [email] -- COMPLETED
-- get email reply confirming start [Waiting On]
-- start this work group [computer]

In this regard, you also might search for the Complete and Await Reply (or equivalent) Applescript that can convert the "send notice ..." task to completed, create a copy as uncompleted, and move the context of the copy to Waiting For (or equivalent).

B) Divide the project as a Folder with groups becoming Projects in their own right. Then, put the Project (formerly the Group) "On Hold".

--
JJW

Gatekeeper appears to be the perfect solution, as the group parent automatically grey's out if there are no children available. So for me it was like:

Project A

-Task 1
-Task 2
-Task 3 Parent
--Task 3 child 1 Waiting on email back (context "Waiting : Bob")
--Task 3 child 2 (context "Work : Computer")
--Task 3 child 3 (context "Work : At the Hospital")

And by right clicking the parent and assigning a waiting context, when I do my weekly "review/follow up on all waiting tasks" action, I get the groups parent showing and the gatekeeper task next to each other in the context view which is helpful.