The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mystery of Bookmark syncing... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi!

After some adventures with Safari I - again :-) - returned to Omniweb as my favourite and prefered browser. But now I've got questions about bookmark syncing.

I switch very often between two computers. I found a post where it's said that Omniweb syncs bookmarks periodically during a session. What does that actually mean, daily, weekly or more often? And what about the Safari bookmark syncing. Do I have to turn that off or doesn't it affect the Omniweb bookmarks at all?

Thanks for any help.
Vincent

Safari bookmarks sync completely independently from OmniWeb bookmarks. As far as 'periodically', from what I can tell, it syncs on startup, and a few times during your session. But it does sync more than once a day while you're using OW.

Thanks for the info. I've still got one problem though. When I start my Mac and Omniweb it seems to adopt changes i made in OmniWeb on the other Mac. Then again, when I start the app again later it jumps back to the old bookmarks. Doesn't make sense, does it?

Bookmark syncing in Omniweb is broken. I have reported it before and it has been discussed here. I think it is a question of priorities, but the issue seems always to be pushed to the bottom of the list.

What you describe regularly happens - changes you make to your bookmarks are overwritten by an older set. I don't understand it - Firefox has an extension called FoxMarks which synchronises bookmarks in real time across multiple machines running any OS. It works perfectly. I suggested that the Omniweb guys take a look at it.

If you have either .Mac or some other WebDAV facility, the surest way to sync Omniweb bookmarks is to normally leave syncing switched off in OW preferences. Then, when you make a change to your bookmarks, switch on the syncing. OW will ask if you want to use your local or remote bookmarks. Choose local and your bookmarks will be uploaded to the remote server. Then switch off syncing. On your other Macs, do the same thing but elect to use the remote bookmarks. Switch syncing off again.

It is a pain, but this method works, as long as you remember to invoke syncing yourself when you need to.