The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

custom styles Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Now that I've used OF for a while, I'm even more convinced I want to be able to apply background colors with a single keypress. That would solve so many problems with one feature!

I could use different background colors for the following things which currently cannot be expressed, and are in fact orthogonal to what can currently be expressed:

- "waiting for" actions -- something I can't act on until I hear from someone

- "not on weekend" actions -- things I'm willing to work on Mo-Fr, but not Sa-Su

- quick actions -- faster than entering something in the duration column, and it would save me from using that column

- on-hold actions

Other people could use this for their own needs. It's a one-stop substitute for colored flags or tags. It would be great as a visual aid, but it should also allow sorting and filtering.

OF is great, but it's rigid. This feature adds flexibility at no cost to those people who think OF is perfect as it is: they don't have to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri View Post
This feature adds flexibility at no cost to those people who think OF is perfect as it is: they don't have to use it.
(Emphasis mine) Sorry, but that is not usually true, no matter what feature you might be discussing. Time and effort spent implementing (and documenting and testing and localizing) feature <X> is time and effort not available for feature <Y>. The only cases that come to mind where it might be otherwise are when doing <X> eliminates the need for <Y>, or where some developer believes so strongly in the importance of <X> that they are willing to do it on their own time.

Good point!

I guess my argument is that this may be worth pursuing because it addresses several common requests at once. (To wit: "waiting for" actions, "on hold" actions, tagging, priorities, and because of this feature's flexibility, others I have not thought of.)