The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

big map Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When Map view first opens on the iPhone it shows almost my entire state with a few clustered red balls near the middle. OK, so at least it's an overview. Then if I expand, expand, expand, and expand using a 2-finger gesture I can get to a practical area view encompassing just where I am and what's nearby. As soon as I follow one of those red balls to a task or list of tasks and go back to the map again it zooms out to the state level again.
Anyone else seeing this default but impractical zoom behavior?

So, testing this out really quickly, it looks like the Maps screen gives you an initial view based on locations assigned to contexts, even if you don't have any actions assigned to that context at the time.

In other words, if you have contexts set to locations far away from your current location (like in other parts of the state), the Maps screen will adjust its initial view based on those locations- even if there are no actions assigned to it, meaning no "red dot". If I remove those farther-out locations, and only have locations that are relatively close to my current location, the Maps screen gives me a much closer view. Does that sound like what you're seeing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
Anyone else seeing this default but impractical zoom behavior?
Yes, I see this as well. The "default" view is definitely too wide a map area for my tastes, and I would much prefer that the map auto-zoom to a much smaller area. Seeing an area roughly from the north Georgia state line to Forsyth (north to south) and Rome to Athens (west to east) is way too much map real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
Does that sound like what you're seeing?
For me, I'm not sure about "far away locations" in my contexts. Most of my location-based contexts are searches ("Best Buy" versus "123 Any Street"), so perhaps that's what is happening, but it still doesn't make any sense. If OmniFocus is attempting to smart-zoom, then it should do so only for contexts that have available actions, not all contexts. I still say the best option would be to zoom to a user-defined radius (20 miles, 50 miles, 100 miles, etc.) instead of attempting to cover all contexts (if that's really what is going on).

Following the logic you have laid out, if I have a location-based context that is in California (for whatever reason) and I live in Georgia, then every time I go to the maps view I should see the entire US map, even when I don't have any actions pending in California. Doesn't seem like a good idea, if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Following the logic you have laid out, if I have a location-based context that is in California (for whatever reason) and I live in Georgia, then every time I go to the maps view I should see the entire US map, even when I don't have any actions pending in California. Doesn't seem like a good idea, if you ask me.
I was able to run this by one of the developers, so I'd like to clarify. The default view for the Map screen is trying to include everything within a reasonable distance from your current location- right now, it's set to ~100km. So thankfully, it won't show you the entire west coast if you have a context located in California :)

Ah ha... that definitely makes more sense. Although a ~60 mile radius seems a bit huge if you ask me. For example, I am seeing a west-east swath of about 150 miles. Way too much. I would love to see a setting that would allow an increase or decrease in this radius. I, for one, would trim this down to more like 15 to 20 miles.

If there is a task that is 60 miles away, I'm not likely to consider that close enough to act on unless some level of urgency required that I make that special trip. Of course, if it was that important, I wouldn't be looking at the map to make the decision to act on it or not. I look at the map to get an idea of what's actionable near me, and I don't ever consider 60 miles "near."

Is there an iOS URL preference that will allow me to change this?

http://people.omnigroup.com/bcovey/C...pDistance.html is a page I made to allow you to change this setting.

I changed the default to 16km (from 50km) and now when I view the map on the iPhone, it starts out zoomed in and then immediately jumps back to the way-too-wide view. The change doesn't seem to work on the iPhone. On the iPad, the map is zoomed in.

*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
...right now, it's set to ~100km.
This doesn't seem to be true. After I used the links provided below to change to 16km, I received a notice in OmniFocus that I was going to change the setting from 50km to 16km. This was on the iPhone and the iPad.

The setting is a radius, so a value of 50 would agree with the 100 km figure from Jameson. Some possible explanations come to mind:
  • Some setting other than the one I mentioned is the one
  • The engineer was mistaken
  • There's a bug

I am confident that the settings page controls what will be listed in the list view of the map function.