The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Download Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
BUMP.... the problem with Speeddownload and OW 5.5 still ocurs. Is there a solution in the works

Yes, the Speeddownload issue is due to JavaScript problems in OmniWeb and we hope to get these fixed as soon as possible.

In investigations, I don't think it is related to javascript but to the plugin support in WebKit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
In investigations, I don't think it is related to javascript but to the plugin support in WebKit.
but if it is a plugin support issue with webkit then why doesn't the same issue crop up with Safari since both are built upon webkit?

BTW this is my only issue with OW. Other than that it does everything I want it to and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder
but if it is a plugin support issue with webkit then why doesn't the same issue crop up with Safari since both are built upon webkit?

BTW this is my only issue with OW. Other than that it does everything I want it to and more
I seem to remember having posted on this one in another thread, but quite some time ago. The Speed Download issue occurs when the download is from another server than the one hosting the page on which the link is clicked. So, for instance, the download won't start automatically for any Omni software, as the link is on www.omnigroup.com ... but the download is hosted on www.extremesims ... Where the software for download is on the same server as the page with the link, OW hands over to Speed Download as expected, e.g. downloading a new version of Speed Download from Yazsoft's own site.
I don't think it can be a Webkit issue, since, as Flounder points out, Safari hands all downloads over to SD without problem and always has done. Mind you, SD is also optimised to work with Safari, in that the contextual menu allows you to choose whether to download through SD or to use Safari's own download engine to do the job.
Mark

Safari and OmniWeb use different versions of WebKit. Safari uses the WebKit built into your system OmniWeb uses a version of WebKit pulled from here (Approximately revision 13302 to be exact).

Another related issue I've had with Speed Download and OmniWeb, 5.5 and 5.5.1 beta 1 is OmniWeb chewing all of one CPU after starting a download that is kicked over to Speed Download.

Any download handled by speed download will cause OmniWeb to chew up as much CPU as it can get. Hitting the back button in OmniWeb often makes it calm down with the CPU usage, but not always. Sometimes an OmniWeb restart is required.

The Speed Download developer thought this was an OmniWeb problem that would be fixed in 5.5.1 beta 1, but it seems to still exist.

Known issue?

Thanks!

Yes, this is an OmniWeb problem and it will be fixed eventually. We were hoping to get the fix rolled into 5.5.1 however due to related changes that aren't ready yet this unfortunately wont be making it in. At this time the goal is to have things working better in 5.6, sorry to keep you waiting.

Sorry for the bother, but I'm currently enjoying the sounds of my processor going bezerk. Any developments here? Does it look fixable? I never had this problem when working with iGetter. Thanks.

This will be fixed when we update WebKit again--we are working this now for a future update sorry for the trouble here.