The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Seems expensive versus alternatives...? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am curious what people's thoughts are in terms of pricing versus value when it comes to OmniFocus on the iPhone. In comparison most apps are 9.99 are lower and in some cases free. I recognize the development time and that it is its own application and everything else, but does it warrant the premium? Seems to me that it would sell more at a lower price point.

I would welcome comments and thoughts on this. Thanks!

We're very happy with our current level of sales: we're selling over 100 copies every day.

I think it's worth every penny. OmniFocus is by far my most used iPhone app. Reasons include:
  • Feature rich (more capable than competitors)
  • Very reliable/robust (easily handles my ~400 projects and ~2500 actions)
  • Frequent updates (app is clearly receiving lot of attention from the developer)
  • Syncs over the Internet (not just LAN syncing like most competitors)
  • Beautiful integration with Mac version
  • While not perfect, quality is very high

As far as I'm concerned, OmniFocus paid for itself a long time ago.

-Dennis

I think it's pretty simple.

You don't value your time. If you're quibbling over $20, then perhaps you need to adopt the GTD principles a bit more.

With the way Omni Focus for Mac has been updated regularly, I'm sure the iPhone version will be too, so it's well worth the $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger-63 View Post
With the way Omni Focus for Mac has been updated regularly, I'm sure the iPhone version will be too, so it's well worth the $.
Yes, the updates seem to go in cycles: lots of effort on the iPhone front for a while, then the Mac version gets busy for a while, and then back to the iPhone for a bit, and so on.

As you point out, we've recently seen a flurry of activity on the Mac side.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanta View Post
I am curious what people's thoughts are in terms of pricing versus value when it comes to OmniFocus on the iPhone.
I bought it. It's worth every penny. In fact, being able to run Omnifocus on the Mac was a major reason for buying a Mac in the first place.

Look at how much your employer pays you, or you pay yourself, or how much your time is worth... $20 becomes irrelevant.

- Don

Really it comes down to...

What value does this app provide for your life?
I've found it's worth hundreds of dollars, because I know what I need to, and are able to do when I'm out of my house.

If you're quibbling not over the quality of the app, but a $10 difference in price, you need to examine what your own time is worth. Mine is expensive, because it's not renewable.

Thanks Omnifocus, your support is as fantastic as is your app. You've truly made a difference for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschaffner View Post
I bought it. It's worth every penny. In fact, being able to run Omnifocus on the Mac was a major reason for buying a Mac in the first place.
I've been on the Mac forever, but I can say that the most important factor in my decision to buy an iPhone was the ability to use OmniFocus on the go. I've never second guessed my decision to spend $20 on OmniFocus, but I've purchased my share of lower-cost apps that ended up being not worth the time, the trouble, or the expense. I'm pretty satisfied that my total investment in both versions of OmniFocus has been money well spent.