The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Integrating External RSS Newsreaders Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Not sure if this is a bug or not (perhaps the feature doesn't exist, in which case I'll plead the case for an enhancement request) --

I'd like to use NewsFire as my RSS reader but clicking on a RSS link attempts to add it to my bookmarks. Is there any way to override this behavior and let NewsFire capture it? Right now I'm manually dragging the link to the NewsFire icon in the dock which is very kludgy.

I even emailed David Watanabe (developer of NewsFire) and his comment was: "I don't use Omniweb, so I can't comment. All I can say is that Safari supports NewsFire very well. If Omniweb doesn't, then that's an enhancement request you need to send to Omni."

My only other gripe is that implementation of saving sessions is weak but that's for another thread.

Otherwise it's a great browser.

Regards,
Roland Thomas

I agree that Omniweb needs to support external RSS readers, and there a few existing threads already on that subject:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=1855
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=235
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=60

The one I don't understand is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandthomas
My only other gripe is that implementation of saving sessions is weak but that's for another thread.
Hmm, Omniweb has the strongest session saving as far as I can see. Is it just that you can't save a current tab set as a new workspace? You can select the tabs you want, cut or copy them, open a new workspace and then paste into the tab drawer....

Last edited by Jon Hicks; 2006-10-09 at 12:27 AM..

You don't even need to do that - just rename the workspace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
You don't even need to do that - just rename the workspace.
Unless its a workspace where you want to restore it to a snapshot! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hicks
The one I don't understand is:

Hmm, Omniweb has the strongest session saving as far as I can see. Is it just that you can't save a current tab set as a new workspace? You can select the tabs you want, cut or copy them, open a new workspace and then paste into the tab drawer....

Hi Jon,

Yes that is precisely my gripe. I think the experience would be that if a user has a collection of tabs open and THEN decides he would like to save the set, that's the functionality he should expect.

For me to take a snapshot, save it to the Default workspace, then Show Workspaces and rename it is about as user-hostile as it gets.

Regards,
Roland Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandthomas
Yes that is precisely my gripe. I think the experience would be that if a user has a collection of tabs open and THEN decides he would like to save the set, that's the functionality he should expect.
Yeah, that threw me for a loop when I first started using workspaces. I would prefer if OmniWeb's workspaces worked like that.