The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Omnifocus v1.2 discussion Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm was hoping that you were going to allow us to email an action. I use this capability (through an applescript) on the Mac version all the time. I use this to remind others or ask for status on the nature of the items.

Any plans to do that? It ought to be pretty simple.

J.

I cannot find the Compact Database button. Anyone seen it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionDog View Post
I cannot find the Compact Database button. Anyone seen it?
Are you syncing to the desktop app? I gathered from the release notes that compacting is done automatically when syncing, but that the compact database button appears if syncing is not set up.

I just read the release notes more carefully and now realize I misunderstood it. All is OK. Thanks.

Launching, and syncing is much, much faster for me. Actually makes a big difference in the enjoyment of using OF for iPhone somehow...

It's great but I thought Omni was going to include an "all items" in the next release.

I would really like to see the "due soon" view look similar to the desktop view... It should include when they are due including items that don't have a due date... some way to view all available items would be helpful.

It would be great to be able to email actions to the iPhone version as well...

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallj View Post
It's great but I thought Omni was going to include an "all items" in the next release.
This was postponed, discussed here.

I might have misunderstood something but I still find the syncprocess quite slow.
Now it has this counter that show how many actions and zipfiles there are in the database, but the number of actions make no sense what so ever, I just counted them and I have 67 actions but it claims that there are 125 actions in the database.

I archived old actions right up until the 8. feb. but it didnīt change anything. My database has 443 zipfiles and the syncprocess just gets slower and slower.

I donīt attach audio notes or pictures to my actions but when I am on edge it takes up to 5 minutes to sync.

I have tried to run that infamous script and it normally make it a tiny bit snappier but that changes after a few days.

I used RTM before and it synced about 10 times as fast as Omnifocus, does anyone know why it takes so long to do it for Omnifocus over MobileMe?

P.S. for me Omnifocus crashes a lot more often after this new update.
I do love that they put settings into the info tab now, as looks a lot better now and works more logically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas_Thomsen View Post
Now it has this counter that show how many actions and zipfiles there are in the database, but the number of actions make no sense what so ever, I just counted them and I have 67 actions but it claims that there are 125 actions in the database.
Sorry, I should have been more accurate when writing that message: it actually counts both projects and actions (and groups of actions), not just actions themselves. Does that make more sense?

Quote:
My database has 443 zipfiles and the syncprocess just gets slower and slower.
Hmm. Just for comparison, my database has 1,758 [projects and] actions stored in 137 zip files.

I'd love to get to the bottom of why your zip files aren't compacting automatically on a regular basis. We save those zip files until each sync client gets a chance to see them—so, in theory, this should only happen if you haven't synced a copy of OmniFocus recently. However, in practice, OmniFocus is a bit paranoid about when to compact (we really don't want any of sync clients to miss any changes), so it's possible it's being too paranoid in your case and missing an opportunity to compact.

Could you email our OmniFocus support ninjas some debugging information about your setup by visiting the Email Debug Info page on your iPhone? You'll have the opportunity to review the information in Mail before anything gets sent, but what I'm looking for in particular is the list it generates of your zip files and sync clients, so we can see how they relate to each other and hopefully determine why OmniFocus hasn't compacted those 443 zip files.

Thanks!

Last edited by Ken Case; 2009-02-10 at 06:32 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Sorry, I should have been more accurate when writing that message: it actually counts both projects and actions (and groups of actions), not just actions themselves. Does that make more sense?

Hmm. Just for comparison, my database has 1,758 [projects and] actions stored in 137 zip files.

I'd love to get to the bottom of why your zip files aren't compacting automatically on a regular basis. We save those zip files until each sync client gets a chance to see them—so, in theory, this should only happen if you haven't synced a copy of OmniFocus recently. However, in practice, OmniFocus is a bit paranoid about when to compact (we really don't want any of sync clients to miss any changes), so it's possible it's being too paranoid in your case and missing an opportunity to compact.

Could you email our OmniFocus support ninjas some debugging information about your setup by visiting the Email Debug Info page on your iPhone? You'll have the opportunity to review the information in Mail before anything gets sent, but what I'm looking for in particular is the list it generates of your zip files and sync clients, so we can see how they relate to each other and hopefully determine why OmniFocus hasn't compacted those 443 zip files.

Thanks!
Hi Ken and thank you so much for your response. I wrote to your support ninjas and the guy who answered, Theo, helped med through a process that seems to have fixed it. Now it has between 30 and 150 zip files when I sync and it is faster :)