The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus at the GTD Summit Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The OmniGroup was a Diamond sponsor of this event, and had a booth in the exhibitor area. It was not surprising that so many people I spoke with or heard from at the Summit were passionate OF users, but what was kind of surprising was how many people said they had just started using OF; some of them seem to be recently new to OS X, a few having just bought Mac laptops down the street at the Apple store. I'm excited to hear what comes out of the work between the OmniGroup and davidco. David really seemed to enjoy his new MacBook Air and iPod touch. Good work, OmniGroup!

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2009-03-16 at 02:21 PM..

It was a lot of fun - thanks to everyone we got a chance to talk to!

Yep, I hear you. The biggest reason I have an iPod touch is for OmniFocus. I spend most of my time in OmniFocus iPod with a dabbling of videos and of course music.

If it weren't for OF iPod, I would probably just stick to my iPod nano.

Do tell more. I'm curious what people had to say about OF formally or informally, and about the general reception at the OF booth.

I'm glad to hear of all the newcomers. I'm fairly new (couple months now), and it was through OF that I first learned of GTD. Wish I had years ago! I've just turned my brother onto both OF and GTD.

FYI, I don't know if it was reported elsewhere here but Kelly Forrister had some good things to say about OF on her blog at davidco recently:

http://www.davidco.com/blogs/kelly/

The longer-term OF users I spoke with were hard core OF/iOF users. The core of their GTD practice, as tools. I showed some people my Weekly Review Perspective, which I've divided in the three GTD WR categories: Get Clear, Get Current, Get Creative. I have a series of Actions in each. A number of the Actions are to run through other Perspectives: Next Review, Due Soon, Flagged, WF, etc. I get it done in 2 hours, once a week.

What I got from a couple of OF newcomers was a feeling of being a little lost in implementation. I told them to check out the free OF videos online.

Bob

I agree with Wilsonng and others about OmniFocus. I've not a new comer to GTD but a recent convert to OF after drooling a long time. I bought a Macbook just so I can use OF at work in an all Windows shop. I am loving life now with all of the flexibility and robust reporting. Thanks OG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob View Post
What I got from a couple of OF newcomers was a feeling of being a little lost in implementation. I told them to check out the free OF videos online.

Bob
I think OF can be a little daunting at first for some. There's a learning curve. But it's well worth it.

I've peaked at some other software, such as Things. It's a bit prettier to look at perhaps, but I am so thoroughly satisfied with the power and flexibility of OF I have no interest in anything else. I've been looking for years for something like this.

I think a lot of people get scared of OF because of its sheer power. There are so many things you can do with it. It can be customized in so many different ways.

Thing's simplicity is what makes it shine. Some users would like to have their software hold their hand ala the Guided Tours or "wizards" that guides them through the process.

It's similar to Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. Photoshop is very intimidating. But its sibling, Photoshop Elements has a lot of the same features but guides the users through the use of Wizards.

I think OF would benefit if there were some starter templates. That would give newbies an idea of how to structure their OF/GTD projects and contexts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob View Post
I showed some people my Weekly Review Perspective, which I've divided in the three GTD WR categories: Get Clear, Get Current, Get Creative. I have a series of Actions in each. A number of the Actions are to run through other Perspectives: Next Review, Due Soon, Flagged, WF, etc. I get it done in 2 hours, once a week

Bob
OmniBob,
Would you be willing to share your WR perspectives?

Thanks,
Tony

Glad to. It's a work in progress, but here you go. The 'flagged items' Perspective is just that simple. 'Someday/maybe' is a Perspective focused on a "Someday/maybe" folder, in which all my S/M Projects and SALs are kept. For other called Perspectives, I've included in a combined screen snap.

See this thread for my updated weekly review list:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...9938#post59938

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OF_called_Perspectives.png
Views:	618
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	895  

Last edited by omnibob; 2009-05-16 at 09:53 AM..