The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb Add-ons? PDF reader maybe? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi guys

I'm finding that I increasingly love this browser more than any other available. It's easy to use, easy to look at, you see a lot more of what you want to see and not big buttons everywhere like Firefox, plus it has numerous features which Firefox doesn't have which help me as a designer.

I was wondering though, where can I download plug-ins for OmniWeb? I am especially interested in something that will display PDF documents within the browser.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks guys.

Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve View Post
I was wondering though, where can I download plug-ins for OmniWeb? I am especially interested in something that will display PDF documents within the browser.
If a browser plug-in was written to work in any Mac browser (not just in Firefox), chances are it works just fine in OmniWeb. For example, you can display PDF inline using Adobe's Acrobat Reader plug-in.

But PDF support is also built into OmniWeb, so you have an even simpler option for displaying them inline: open Preferences, click on "Display", and click on the "open PDFs in the browser" checkbox.

If you're not satisfied with the built-in PDF viewer, check out PDF Browser Plugin. It offers numerous options over the built-in reader. It also works with Safari and Firefox(?).

Link for the above mentioned PDF Browser plug-in.

http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/

They recently updated it and it adds a helpful feature-set without installing the Adobe stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
If a browser plug-in was written to work in any Mac browser (not just in Firefox), chances are it works just fine in OmniWeb. For example, you can display PDF inline using Adobe's Acrobat Reader plug-in.

But PDF support is also built into OmniWeb, so you have an even simpler option for displaying them inline: open Preferences, click on "Display", and click on the "open PDFs in the browser" checkbox.
Ahh, thanks Ken. I didn't realise about that. I really need to look harder. I'll give it a try.

And thanks to everyone else who helped with the other PDF reader. If I'm not satisified with OmniWeb's built in reader, I'll try that.

Thanks again. Yet another way OmniWeb is superior to all other browsers.

Steve.

The only downsides to the SchubertIT plug-in are:

1. No scroll wheel support.
2. It uses the same engine as Preview, so it is not fully compatible with PDFs of version 1.6 or higher - this means you can't view any interactive media embedded within PDFs as these require support for version 1.8 or higher (iirc).
3. No support for .fdf files (a problem if you work in academia and use Editorial Manager or equivalent software).

However, it is a good plug-in if you really don't want to have Adobe software on your Mac, and it does offer a lot more options than the built-in WebKit PDF support.

Fwiw, Adobe Reader is actually pretty good now it has reached version 9. Much faster to load and a better app on the Mac than it used to be.

I've got "open PDFs in the browser" checked in the Display preferences, but when I try to view PDFs it just comes up black. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I've got "open PDFs in the browser" checked in the Display preferences, but when I try to view PDFs it just comes up black. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Do you have anything installed that may be intercepting the PDF, like an external download manager or maybe an older and incompatible PDF plugin (like Adobe Reader)? I know that, for example, if you're using SpeedDownload integrated with the browser and you click a PDF, it will start to download it rather than let OW display it.