The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb 5.6 Sneaky Peeks now available! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Looks very nice, especially the Web Inspector!

Similar to earlier versions of OW, I'm having problems again with the Amazon online reader pages and with My.Yahoo. The latter is, however, still in beta and not officially supported. Yet, it worked fine with OW 5.5.4.

Looking forward to more releases in the near future.

I agree that it overall looks quite nice, and speed is good as well!

However, I am very sad to see that two of my absolute requirements are not fulfilled, and I was wondering whether these were expected in the final release.

1. "Find-as-you-type" - extremely important for some of us, and considering the very nice new feature seen in Safari, I would really love to see this.

2. Proper "one-window" browsing support. In other words - something similar to Camino/Firefox, where new windows are created in Tabs and are treated as such (meaning if you close it, it will go back to the last-used tab - as opposed to tabs you create yourself where it should select "the next tab", rather than the "last-used tab".). I know this functionality is somewhat in there, but it doesn't distinguish between these two types of tabs.

I was hoping 5.6 would fix this. I have to use Firefox to log on to the Citrix Metaframe portal to access the medical record at our local hospital.

Perhaps this fix will come with further tweaking of 5.6? (I hope I don't have to wait until 5.7 or (shudder) 6.0.

Peter

Here is the Java console message:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at apple.awt.CToolkit.doAWTRunLoop(Native Method)
at apple.awt.CToolkit.doAWTRunLoop(CToolkit.java:1097 )
at apple.awt.CToolkit.doAWTRunLoop(CToolkit.java:1100 )
at sun.plugin.viewer.WebKitPluginContext.initEnvironm ent(WebKitPluginContext.java:130)
at sun.plugin.viewer.WebKitPluginContext.createPlugin Object(WebKitPluginContext.java:35)
java.lang.NullPointerException
at apple.awt.CToolkit.doAWTRunLoop(Native Method)
at apple.awt.CToolkit.doAWTRunLoop(CToolkit.java:1097 )
at apple.awt.CToolkit.doAWTRunLoop(CToolkit.java:1100 )
at sun.plugin.viewer.WebKitPluginContext.initEnvironm ent(WebKitPluginContext.java:130)
at sun.plugin.viewer.WebKitPluginContext.createPlugin Object(WebKitPluginContext.java:35)
Java Plug-in 1.5.0
Using JRE version 1.5.0_07 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = /Users/pheski

----------------------------------------------------
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
l: dump classloader list
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
p: reload proxy configuration
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system and deployment properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
x: clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>
----------------------------------------------------

load: class com.citrix.ConnectionCenter not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.citrix.ConnectionCenter
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClass Loader.java:168)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:3 06)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClass Loader.java:119)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 51)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassL oader.java:599)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.ja va:721)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(AppletViewer. java:1826)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java: 650)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:324)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(AppletClassL oader.java:271)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(AppletClas sLoader.java:44)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(AppletClassLoad er.java:158)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClass Loader.java:155)
... 9 more
load: class com.citrix.ConnectionCenter not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.citrix.ConnectionCenter
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClass Loader.java:168)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:3 06)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClass Loader.java:119)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 51)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassL oader.java:599)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.ja va:721)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(AppletViewer. java:1826)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java: 650)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:324)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(AppletClassL oader.java:271)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(AppletClas sLoader.java:44)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(AppletClassLoad er.java:158)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClass Loader.java:155)
... 9 more

I also congratulate Omni!

A few problems, though. Gmail does not seem to function properly, i.e., I cannot send mail.

Also, the Google Reader subscribe bookmarklet doesn't do anything in Omniweb. Are these Javascript issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug
I also congratulate Omni!

A few problems, though. Gmail does not seem to function properly, i.e., I cannot send mail.
I'm not having any trouble sending mail in Gmail or in my Google Apps accounts.

I've noticed that occasionally Safari 3 will stall when sending mail, perhaps Omniweb, being based on webkit as well, is having the same issue. The work-around is to press the send button again - and again if needed.

The issue, when I've seen it in Safari, happens randomly and thankfully relatively rarely.

So far, no real problems to report. I've been doing a lot of surfing, although admittedly I don't try to use OW (or Safari) for anything too Ajax or Java intensive. I find I need FF for this, or use Windows.

However, the Ajax sites I've been to, like my Traffic map site and Weather channel, all work fine -- and they used to NOT work fine.

It's especially nice to have all the web kit niceties, such as styled form elements, the web kit inspector, etc.

Thanks for this SneakyPeak update. The JS rendering problems with 5.5.4 seem fixed. Web Inspector looks good, but I don't have much use for it.

A major new problem is that javascript streaming videos are now broken - such as at the cnn.com site. All the video plugins still appear enabled in the list (QuickTime, Flip4Mac, RealPlayer).

Also, there is no improvement in the AutoFill feature. This has long been acknowledged as poor. (1Password doesn't work with this OW release.)

Last edited by mshalperin; 2007-06-28 at 09:23 AM..

I'm in Gmail, spoofing as Firefox 2 for Mac and chat is working! Well, no one I could test with was on-line but I can get the chat box to at least pop up and my message to my wife, who's offline, did return a failure message. I also get name completion when composing. Chat for sure and name completion possibly I didn't remember working previously and chat didn't work the time or two I tried with Safari 3. Good job, OmniGroup!

Hi Everyone,

If you encounter bugs please make sure you use the send feedback link in the help menu to contact us about them.

You can also use the OmniWeb bug forum but if you need to report something to Omni, the best way is to use the Send Feedback link in the help menu.

As far as troubleshooting goes, if you have trouble loading page content try turning off your ad block preferences as they may be getting in the way without indicating as such. (that's how I got the cnn video player to work.)

Thanks!

CNN video is working fine for me here at work. I'm a registered user of CNN, not sure if that makes a diff. But I have adblocking on, custom css blocks too, and pipeline player works perfectly.