The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pasting in to create tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

A friend of mine wanted me to manage a project for her. She gave me a spreadsheet of all the tasks along with an Excel formatted Gant chart. I obviously don't really wish to manually type all this stuff in and was wondering, at the very least, how you cut/paste/import just the tasks?

Even cut/pasting the tasks out into another app is fine.

Thanks for any help
Martin

1) Save the Excel file as CSV
2) Drag the CSV file onto the OmniPlan app icon (or choose "Import" from OmniPlan's File menu).
3) You should get a dialog asking you how to match up columns from the CSV file to OmniPlan's data columns.

Depending on exactly how the data is in the Excel file, you might want to copy just the task names and properties, without the gantt chart part, to a new file. That will probably make the import process go more smoothly.

hmmm, i removed everything other than the column containing the list of task headings and Omniplan says it can't open the file, for some reason.

File isn't open. Example of CSV is as follows:

"Task"
"Product Development"
"Record"
"Edit audio recording"
"Get prices on USB sticks as per email"

Any ideas ?

Hrm.... if your file isn't uber-super-confidential, send it to us and we can take a look.

On it's way - thanks for your help

Interestingly enough, I exported a few task items out as a CSV.
OmniPlan gives me the same error message that it can't open the file when I try and import it's own exported CSV.

Now that's troubling :)

Oh, right, I remember now. (Wow, was my brain shut down yesterday!) We broke CSV importing in 1.1.1, but have fixed it in 1.1.2. A release candidate is available here: http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniplan/beta/ The final release will hopefully be out kinda soonish.

1.1.2 RC1 seems to import the file which saves out and imports into your current stable release 1.1.1 so thanks.

You might like to update the 'beta' webpage to point out it fixes this issue so others are warned.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastarr View Post
1.1.2 RC1 seems to import the file which saves out and imports into your current stable release 1.1.1 so thanks.

You might like to update the 'beta' webpage to point out it fixes this issue so others are warned.

Cheers
Glad to hear everything is working for you now! We have historical release notes on our download page if anyone needs to review the changes that happened between each version. Here's the link:

http://www.omnigroup.com/application.../releasenotes/