The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

What's coming in OmniFocus v1.6? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelande View Post
The title of this thread is what is coming in OmniFocus v1.6, but you only mention more accurate filtering and autocomplete groups/projects.

Is there a more complete list?

How about a longer term Roadmap/timeline for features currently planned (knowing of course that plans can change).
I couldn't agree with more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
(such as the new "autocomplete when children are complete" setting on projects and groups).
Sneaking in that hotly debated feature in a parenthetical?

Woot! This is a true best-of-both-worlds solution to challenging design question from the good old original sneaky peek days. Can't wait to put it to good use.

Curt

Hopefully, metadata columns are coming in v1.6 too :-)

Quote:
As I recently mentioned in the Tags thread, our plan all along has been to allow people to create their own columns of metadata, which they can use however they want: with generic tags, or with specific columns for priority, people, etc. (We have this capability in OmniPlan, OmniOutliner, and OmniGraffle.) We just didn't have time to do it for 1.0, and we won't for 1.1 (which has to focus on synchronization so it can be ready to synchronize with the iPhone).

Hopefully in 1.6.
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...&postcount=155

Here are some things to concentrate on in version 1.6:

From version 1.0- still unable to drag simple documents into OF without them loosing their name. One year on and still waiting.

The whole style preferences is just infuriating. For example it works some of the time and then not at all.

Omnifocus, as far as I'm concerned, has been a HUGE disappointment because of these two issues. Tech support say it's on the list but guess what-I DON'T HAVE AN IPHONE! So while you have been doing all that development some very basic things have still not been fixed.

Any chance of a refund if you don't fix these issues in say 3 months time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
From version 1.0- still unable to drag simple documents into OF without them loosing their name. One year on and still waiting.
Yes, that's right, you get an icon with no name. Type the name next to it in the notes field if you can't get along without it. Yes, Omni could and should improve this, but it is hardly a show-stopper.
Quote:
The whole style preferences is just infuriating. For example it works some of the time and then not at all.
Examples, please. Are these problems reproducible in a newly created account? My expectation is that they've probably already fixed it, if they could reproduce it. That doesn't mean they've shipped the fix, of course.

Could you also describe how any such failing prevents you from successfully managing your tasks?
Quote:
Omnifocus, as far as I'm concerned, has been a HUGE disappointment because of these two issues.
Uh, right. Two cosmetic issues make it a HUGE disappointment. Are there any programs of any sort that meet your standards?
Quote:
Tech support say it's on the list but guess what-I DON'T HAVE AN IPHONE! So while you have been doing all that development some very basic things have still not been fixed.
Hey, I don't have an iPhone or iPod Touch, either. However, judging from what Ken told me at Macworld when I asked him about OmniFocus sales on desktop vs. iPhone, the existence of the iPhone product has greatly boosted the number of paying OmniFocus customers (desktop, iPhone, or both), and that's a good thing, because it means Omni will continue devoting resources to the product. I think it is pretty clear that most developments will still be focused on the desktop because of the limitations imposed by the iPhone's cpu, memory, screen real estate, etc. Others will appear on both platforms but have little incremental cost to support the iPhone because they have a large common code base. If you think you are being ignored, see how the people on the OmniWeb forum feel!

Quote:
Any chance of a refund if you don't fix these issues in say 3 months time?
You've been making threatening noises about refunds for OmniFocus for a year. If you wanted a refund, you should have requested it within the first 30 calendar days after purchase. To use the program for a year and now ask for a refund (if they don't make some future changes, at that!) is unreasonable. The old line about "The food sucks, and the portions are too small!" comes to mind.

Omni's refund policy is MUCH more liberal than that of Native Instruments, which you mention in your original posts about the licensing scheme.

What do you do when someone posts a negative... look back through all their other posts???

Look you are a fan, I'm not.

"Could you also describe how any such failing prevents you from successfully managing your tasks?"

Er scenario- lots of word docs with very similar names dragged into OF- what next- type WHAT name next to the icon?
Yes this is a "show stopper" for me and no it's definitely NOT cosmetic. Labeling a bug 'cosmetic', because it does not fit into how you think people should or do use OF, is erroneous.
It should have been fixed a long time ago but apparently it's a big technical headache to fix.

OF is expensive and I, quite simply, expect better. I have waited for ONE YEAR so I can use this software how I need to. Does that not constitute a refund. I was assured when I flagged this (within 30 days) that it would be fixed in an update. I too am learning that this can mean anything and should have gone for it within the 30 days, but I made a mistake.

Not to muddy the waters, but I too hope that the handling of attachments is improved in 1.6. Given how nicely OmniOutliner handles attachments and given OmniFocus' roots back to OmniOutliner, I'm surprised that the two programs don't share the same functionality for attachments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
What do you do when someone posts a negative... look back through all their other posts???
Whenever anyone I'm not familiar with posts anything to which I'm going to respond, I go look at their post history so I can see if they are a desktop or iPhone only user, for example.

General internet rule of thumb: if you don't want people to read what you wrote, possibly a long time later, don't write it.

Quote:
"Could you also describe how any such failing prevents you from successfully managing your tasks?"

Er scenario- lots of word docs with very similar names dragged into OF- what next- type WHAT name next to the icon?
Nice job of rearranging what I asked. The question was how the style preferences bug (which you didn't describe) prevents you from working.

Quote:
Yes this is a "show stopper" for me and no it's definitely NOT cosmetic. Labeling a bug 'cosmetic', because it does not fit into how you think people should or do use OF, is erroneous.
Sorry, I don't have a preconceived notion of how you or anyone else should use OF. I do know that what you are complaining about (lack of file name labels on attachments) is how OF has worked all along, and I do not believe you will be able to turn up any documentation that suggests it should work otherwise. The functionality is not broken, but it is not what you want. There is a workaround. After you drag and drop the file, flip back to the Finder, hit return to select the file name, copy, flip back to OF, paste. There, you've got your filename, no typing of filenames needed. The fact remains that files are successfully attached with the drag and drop option or Edit->Attach File. This is not a case where the code doesn't work the way the developer intends, but rather behavior you want enhanced. As I said in my previous message, I also think this should be improved. I also think that for the vast majority of users, typical use for this feature will be to attach only 1 or 2 files per note, and the names themselves will be largely irrelevant.
Quote:
It should have been fixed a long time ago but apparently it's a big technical headache to fix.
Possibly, they haven't felt that the return justifies the effort when there are so many other things they want to do. They do have a database of user requests to consult (see below) for prioritization.
Quote:
OF is expensive and I, quite simply, expect better. I have waited for ONE YEAR so I can use this software how I need to. Does that not constitute a refund. I was assured when I flagged this (within 30 days) that it would be fixed in an update. I too am learning that this can mean anything and should have gone for it within the 30 days, but I made a mistake.
Unless some promise was made about when they would give you that fix, I don't think you have any real grounds for complaint, yet. The policy is that you get all the 1.x releases for free having paid for 1.0. We know there's at least one more of those coming down the pipe. If they wait until 2.0 to fix the attachment name issue, send me a copy of that email from Omni promising you the fix and I'll make sure you get it at no cost to you. I think the likelihood that I'll have to do so is very small.

You had 30 days to try out the fully-functional software to see if it met your standards, yet it appears you don't hold yourself to the same standard as you expect Omni to meet. Style preferences didn't come out until 1.1, many months after your purchase, so I don't see how you can reasonably lump it in to your "HUGE disappointment" as you were apparently willing to purchase OF without that feature. Are there any other features they need to deliver to earn the money you've already paid?

Bottom line: you want the program to work differently than it does now. As has been repeated numerous times on the forum, send email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com or use Help->Send Feedback to send a message requesting whatever it is you want. That's the only guaranteed way to have your vote counted. Use the same mechanism to file reports clearly describing what took place if you find a case where the program doesn't appear to behave properly. Doing those things will help Omni help you. Asking for a refund a year later because they haven't enhanced it in a way you expect, not so much...

I find your reply ridiculous.

As is your right, of course. It does appear that you are intimately familiar with ridiculous posts, so you must be correct in your assessment :-)