The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GTD concepts in OF terms Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
wvh from Omni wrote, in this thread:

Quote:
the "Blocks Next Action" setting in the Context inspector is supposed to be our native support for Waiting contexts, and the "On Hold" status for projects is supposed to be our native support for Someday/Maybe lists. Perhaps we need to point these out in a better way so that people realize what the "best practice" is for implementing GTD concepts.
I would like to say that I would appreciate that very much. I read David Allen's book and it is not always obvious to me how key GTD concepts translate to OF. There are of course multiple ways possible of implementing those, but, speaking for myself, I would first try the way that the OF designers had in mind, and only if that would not suffice would I try to improve on it.

As an example, until I read your post, I marked 'waiting for' actions with the Flag. Sure, it worked, but until I read your post I did not realize that the way I was supposed to do that is with a 'Waiting' context which is marked 'On Hold' (I couldn't find a Blocks Next Action setting in the Context inspector, but I suppose you were talking about a pre-release OF version; I assume this is now done by setting the Context on hold). And this way works better because 'waiting for' actions stay out of sight unless I focus on them.

So, to summarize: a list of key GTD concepts with suggested OF ways to implement them would be very welcome.

Best wishes,
Jan Pieter Kunst

The "blocks next action" feature no longer seems to be present, or at least I can't find it. The Sync preference refers to blocked actions but I'm not sure how that relates.

Perhaps he meant to make a project sequential, such that the action would block the other remaining actions?

I think putting contexts "on hold" has replaced the context option mentioned in the quoted thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I think putting contexts "on hold" has replaced the context option mentioned in the quoted thread.
That was my impression as well.

wouldn't it be an idea if the omnigroup starts a video podcast to point out the way they had in mind using Omnifocus in a GTD context. Guess the userbase would benefit extremely and take usage of the whole possibilities provided by omnifocus. my two cents ;) k:d