The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Maps won't find my location on wifi only iPad? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Before I file a bug, is anyone else with a wifi only iPad seeing problems with the maps feature finding their current location? It seems stuck on the last one.

Hitting the location button doesn't seem to have any effect other than re-centering the stuck location if I pan away in the map.

Sometimes this works, but it seems to require restarting the app.

You do realize that the WiFi only iPad doesn't have a gps chip don't you? and relies on nearby hotspots having been mapped and logged with it's location. I don't think you have to actually be connected to one, as long as their ssid is visible to the iPad it can get a rough idea of where you are.

If you try it from a different location that will have been mapped, starbucks for example, does it work then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves71 View Post
I don't think you have to actually be connected to one, as long as their ssid is visible to the iPad it can get a rough idea of where you are.
You do have to have internet connectivity to be able to ask the server where you are!

Can the Maps application get a fix on your position? If not, OmniFocus won't do any better.

I have seen a few cases where I couldn't get a fix in OmniFocus in a place where I know that it should be able to do so, but when I immediately tried the Maps app, it got stuck, too. Once it started working, then OmniFocus did as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You do have to have internet connectivity to be able to ask the server where you are!
I put that bit in because if you are connected to the Internet via a MiFi device and within range but not connected to a mapped hotspot then theoretically it should detect your location, but it isn't something that I have actually tried.

Another possibility - after a certain number of "No" responses in the "Can OmniFocus use your location?" alert, the device will assume you never want it to do so and will stop asking...

If the map can get a fix on your location but OmniFocus can't, you may want to launch the Settings app, then tap Reset -> Reset Location Warnings.

(Unfortunately, that resets the settings for all your apps - we're not aware of a way to reset a single app.)

I have the same problem and have a ticket open with Omni. I _never_ said "No" to OF iPad asking for my location, yet I've had to reset location warnings multiple times at work to get OF iPad to find my new location.

I have demonstrated that both my iPhone and iPad can find my location using wifi _only_ in the maps app @work on the same wifi network. OF iPhone can find location with wifi only @work. But OF iPad... Something is wrong with OF ipad's location.

FYI... tried again this morning. Opened up OF ipad. This time, OF iPad was already open and displaying the map feature. Instead of hitting the Crosshairs icon, I brought up the left side navigation bar and hit Map.

OF iPad correctly recalculated my location. I think on previous attempts I hit the crosshair button.

Late to this, but had a conversation with the developer working on the Map view in the iPad app - we do re-fetch your location when the sidebar item is tapped, but the crosshair button re-centers the view on the last known location.

The intent here is to avoid draining your battery with constant location queries, though the UI could probably do a better job explaining what's going on. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Late to this, but had a conversation with the developer working on the Map view in the iPad app - we do re-fetch your location when the sidebar item is tapped, but the crosshair button re-centers the view on the last known location.

The intent here is to avoid draining your battery with constant location queries, though the UI could probably do a better job explaining what's going on. :-)
Tapping on the cross hairs and doing a query at that time would have the same battery effect as tapping on the sidebar item.

I don't expect constant location updates while the maps view is open, if that's the concern. I don't plan on moving around a lot while I'm using OF for iPad!