The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New "No Context" bucket has side effects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Anyone else noticing the odd behavior now that there's a "No Context" bucket under the Contexts mode?

Let's say I have a project "Get rebate", with the following structure

* Get rebate [project]
[x] Get UPC from box (home)
[x] Fill out forms (home)
[x] Copy forms (office)
[_] Find envelope (home)
[_] Address and stuff envelope (no context)
[_] Mail envelope (errands)
[_] Waiting for rebate (waiting for)

In my Contexts view, set up to group by project, sort by project, showing next actions, any time and all flagged/unflagged, when I look at my Get rebate project, I see:

[_] Find envelope [Get rebate] <-- active action
[_] Address and stuff envelope [Get rebate] <-- inactive action

Why is the second action being shown?

I can eliminate this extra set of actions which don't have contexts by selecting my Contexts box rather than selecting none/all of my contexts, but I've gotten used to simply pressing command-shift-a to select all my contexts, or by clicking in empty space to do the same.

Why, in fact, is the "No contexts" box in the Contexts mode? If I'm in Contexts, I'm Doing, and seeing a bunch of no contexts items puts me into Planning.

(I know, I know, it's a new feature....)

As you said, "it's a new feature." I for one like the new feature, and I think it's the way it should be.

All the items that are assigned context should now be viewed under the contexts, and ones that do not have any context assigned can now be viewed under no contexts.

This way I think it helps to organize the items better.

Just a different perspective.

I don't mind having a "No Contexts" bucket, I'm averse to those items without contexts showing up in my "all contexts" view.

In case it matters, I'm using the new "Active Contexts" filter, so I only ever see contexts which have items in them, so seeing items without contexts is doubly frustrating for me than it might be for others.

And, of course, the mind-bend that comes from seeing no-context items in context view!

Sproing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I don't mind having a "No Contexts" bucket, I'm averse to those items without contexts showing up in my "all contexts" view.

In case it matters, I'm using the new "Active Contexts" filter, so I only ever see contexts which have items in them, so seeing items without contexts is doubly frustrating for me than it might be for others.

And, of course, the mind-bend that comes from seeing no-context items in context view!
I agree with you. This new behavior is maddening. (I've said as much, more politely, in feedback.) It's great being able to select the No Contexts bucket, but I think it should be neither heard nor seen unless I explicitly select it. Otherwise I have to keep remembering to select the Contexts folder in Context mode, which adds an extra step.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the No Contexts Bucket belongs in the inbox.