The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Cache and performance issues Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
the last few days I've had an issue where OmniFocus initiates a ‘saving to cache’ thing almost every time I try to do anything with it, so I have to wait for it to complete that task before it will release command back to me.

Any idea why that’s happening, and is there a way to decrease the number of times or frequency with which this is performed?

How long does the "saving to cache" take? I had some issues with that during 1.1 sneeky peek that were related to a very bloated database. Is your database extremely large? (An easy way to check is to look at the size of the backup documents.)

If your database file is extremely large (say > 1MB), then there are a couple of ways to get it down to size. If you're syncing multiple devices, try to get them all to sync twice within an hour of each other. If you're on one machine, try Rebuild Database.

Curt

In order to avoid losing data if something unexpected (*cough* crash *cough*) happens, we pretty much constantly save data to the cache. The curious part is why it's taking so long for those saves to complete; if I remember correctly, the message you're getting only appears after a save takes longer than a half second or so to complete.

Is your database stored someplace other than the Application Support folder in your account on the Mac? That would be one possibility, I guess; moving the file to the machine you're editing it from would be the solution.

If that's not it, it's probably something you want to contact the support ninjas about so they can help. (They're available at omnifocus@omnigroup.com.)

I use a laptop, the database is stored wherever OF decides to store databases. I didn’t change that.

Checked out the size of my backups. They’re 2.8 MB, which surprises me because I'm just really getting started with it. I don’t have all that much in it, that I'm aware of. I have, like 4-5 projects, maybe 8-10 contexts, and I'm guessing, maybe 500 active or completed tasks.

Many of my tasks are imported/clipped emails or web pages, don’t know what impact that has.

Is 2.8mb a large file for this app? If so, how do I figure out where it’s bloating? Is it possible I attached some large file to a task or something by mistake?

2.8MB is fairly large and it is probably because of something you embedded in one of your tasks. I don't know how to find out which that would be though.