The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unexpected results following PDF file import Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
While I use Omnigraffle for almost all my simple drawing tasks there are times when I want to use another drawing package and import the results into OmniGraffle. The file "test.pdf" was created in LineForm and exported as a PDF. OmniGraffle opens the file and just displays a slight smudge instead of a complete shaded sphere.

Is there a bullet proof method or application that can be used to create graphic elements outside OmniGraffle for use in an OG diagram?

Simon

N.B. I had to zip the PDF to get it to attach.
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.pdf.zip (28.1 KB, 578 views)

generally its better to have a jpg or other raster image, vector images can be interpreted very differently by omnigraffle and may render differently to how the original package did. at least thats my understanding and experience of it.

Have you tried copying and pasting? Lineform is a native OS X app, so your graphics should copy to the clipboard as vector pdf and paste in the same format.

You may want to see if Lineform offers a "copy as" option in the "edit" menu like Omnigraffle so thoughtfully does. :)

Thank you for your comments. I have tried various Lineform to OG export/import and have concluded that it is best to import graphic elements as PNGs if special effects such as blur are to be preserved. I have an OG document that shows my results but it is to big to post.

Simon

I am not sure what the problems is. I opened a blank OG window and dragged and dropped the pdf into the window and it worked fine. Am I missing something?

wn

Warrenn,

Drag and drop will work because it pastes a bit image of the pdf into the OG document whereas loading a PDF should bring in a vector image that can be edited.

best wishes Simon

Well, I must have been doing something terribly wrong if that is the case. I have been using OG for a book I have been writing and use it in exactly this way: I generate pdfs from other programs (CAD, plotting and LaTeXit) and arrange (and resize) the dragged-and-dropped pdfs in OG. They are certainly NOT bitmapped (in OG) since they resize in the same way the original pdfs resize. The publishers like the results.

Warren N

Actually, I meant that the pdf generated from the composite OG document resizes in the same way as the original pdfs. So, if I greatly enlarge the resultant pdf, I do not see jaggies which I would see if the pdfs were simply bitmapped. Maybe they are bitmapped at very high resolution, which would mean that they cannot be edited. If that is the case, my apologies.

Warren N

Last edited by warrenn; 2009-10-19 at 11:27 AM..

I just looked at one of my pdfs generated with OG using LaTex text (from LaTeXit). I enlarged the pdf to the maximum extent and there were absolutely no jaggies, even when a single LaTex character took up the entire screen. I can't believe that these are bitmapped - that simply would not happen if they were.

Warren N

Warrenn,

I made my comment based on a reply from Omni to a similar post of a year ago (Importing a Shape) but admittedly about OG 4.

"Drag and drop simply places it as an image, which is pretty common." - Joel

They may have changed how OG5 processes drag and drop.

Simon