The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View by specific date completed? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ive been poking around and searching for a while, but for some reason I just cant figure out how to do this.

Id like to be able to view all tasks completed on a given date, preferably in a humanized form, like "today" 'yesterday" "last week".

1. Go into context mode and display your view bar (Shift-Command-V)
  2. Set the first three view bar menus in the content area to "Completed"
  3. Optionally set the view bar menu in the side bar to show "All Contexts"

Click image for larger version

Name:	viewbar.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	527

If you wish to view items by completed projects rather than by actions, just switch to planning mode and set your view bar up the same way.

Hope this helps.

I figured that out to see what has been completed, but the duration option only lets me filter down to the day or less.

I want to view Only the actions i completed yesterday, monday, or on January 5th 2008, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velda View Post
I want to view Only the actions i completed yesterday, monday, or on January 5th 2008, etc.
Unfortunately, that kind of granularity doesn't currently exist in the filtering system. About the best you could do is open the Inspector and look at individual completion dates as you iterate down your list (perhaps using the up/down arrow keys).

I thought I read somewhere that a "Completion Date" column was being considered for a future version. That might helps as well.

What would maybe be the best solution is some kind of smart folders implementation that would allow you to build a query and save it for later reference. I'm sure Omni Group has considered that kind of functionality, but I don't know their current feelings toward it.

If you feel strongly about this functionality, you might want to make an official feature request via the Help --> Send Feedback.

First, from a GTD perspective, once a task is done that is pretty much it . . . I suppose you might need to review completed project tasks as part of your review process. However, I'm sure that is not what velda was getting at. I raise the GTD angle as a reminder that GTD was the foundation for OF, and if something is missing it is because it isn't needed to automate a GTD system. But where does that leave those of us who need to report project status or complete timesheets or invoices?

Those in larger companies are going to have to report status and track time in other ways anyway . . . so the lack of time accounting features in OF is not a big deal. Three cheers for really big monitors (or multi-monitor setups!) and Copy & Paste (and Export). This is where I live . . . different apps for both time accounting and project reporting.

It is already a given that OF alone is not going to provide what you want. Maybe if we know what you (velda) are trying to accomplish and why we might be able to offer a workaround that will help.

I totally agree. I am looking for a way to do this exact same thing. All of the data input fields are already there. This seems like it would be a really easy thing to impliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlofgren View Post
I totally agree. I am looking for a way to do this exact same thing. All of the data input fields are already there. This seems like it would be a really easy thing to impliment.
It might be an easy thing to implement, but the actual implementation of a feature is often a pretty small portion of the whole effort required. You have to test and debug it, document it, support it. There are no free software features :-)

One thing you can do for greater searching and sorting ability for completed tasks is to export them to a spreadsheet. Make yourself a context view, ungrouped, completed actions, that shows all of the relevant actions you want to search. Now do File->Export... and select Comma Separated Values (CSV) as the output file format. Tack .CSV on to the filename, and you should be able to open in OpenOffice, Excel, etc. where you can sort on the Completion Date column and look at the range that interests you. With a bit more fiddling, you could then save the desired rows out as a tab delimited text file and import into OmniOutliner for additional styling.

Or, thinking completely out of the box, install Quicksilver, turn on the text manipulation actions, and use the "." command to add a quick description of whatever you do to a plain text file as you do it. Toss that into OmniOutliner for beautification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlofgren View Post
This would definitely be good to have, but it would also require changing the file format, which we try to avoid doing because that ups the risk of data corruption. It would also add additional user interface, which would break all our localizations. :-)

We actually have all the data we need already, so no file format change is necessary. What's missing is the interface to filter by a specific date range. We'll get to that in time, but in the meantime someone could write some AppleScript to generate that report, and put the script on the toolbar (or even wrap it in an Automator workflow) for easy access.