The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Sitemap Layout Issue - Converting Single Row to Two Columns? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

I'm using OmniGraffle Professional 4.1.2 to create a website sitemap. I'm having a few layout problems so I'm just posting for some help.

I've used the Outline view to create the web pages in the hierarchy they are supposed to be in (Parent, Child, etc), and this works fine and means that I can very quickly, get a sitemap created that looks *near* to what I want. I've chose the option for the diagram to be laid out using Brainstorming > Boxes, and this is the look I'm after.

My only issue is that I'd like to force tiers of 'boxes' to be displayed in two columns instead of as a single wide column, but I'm unsure how to do this automatically, so it's taking a lot of time to manually re-arrange everything.

For example:

-Home
--About
--News
--Shop
--Contact
--Legal
---Terms
---Privacy
---Policies
---Team

If we take the Legal pages, Legal is the parent, and Terms, Privacy, Policies, and Team are its children in the hierarchy. My layout problem is that these child pages are displaying in a single wide row so it means that a Site Map with lots of pages is spanning across 5-6 pages.

Is there an automatic way of making these pages appear in multiple columns (or 2) instead of a single row? Or am I going about creating the sitemap in the wrong way all together?

To help explain the above text, I've attached an image to this message which shows two files - the top one is what I'm getting automatically, and the bottom one is how I want the top one to appear (this is after manual intervention).

Thanks for any advice,

Ste
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sitemaps.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	241  

I've been searching through the forums and have found a few other posts where people are having similar issues.

Surely there's a non-manual way of fixing this?

Thanks,

Ste

I want to see if I can get this question back into the community. This is exactly the problem I am having. Does anyone out there have a solution for their websites. Any of you Omni Ninjas have a solution?

After doing a little web searching I noticed Visio has an "arrange subordinates" function that will do exactly what we need. Is that an option?

Shawn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arrangesubordinates.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	347  

Last edited by Shawn Wright; 2007-10-23 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Updated

I'd also like to know if there is a way to do this. It seems like this is pretty simple but I have no idea how to automatically arrange subPages in a different fashion.

I am trying to do the very same thing. Seems like a pretty standard way to layout a site map. I'm a Visio user trying out OmniGraffle to use at home on other projects. I'm impressed and really like it so far, except for this issue, which is a deal-breaker for me. With all the other great things it can do I'd really be surprised if it can't take the outline and lay it out vertically (or side by side). Love to hear an answer on this...

I don't think this is possible in OG 5 yet. :(

I could really use this feature as well. Dang. Looks like I'll have to move to Visio.