The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trigger AppleScript when task is complete Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to have an AppleScript triggered when you mark a task as completed?

I'm running a timer on all my OmniFocus tasks in iBiz and would like to automatically have the timer for the current task I'm working on stop when I mark the corresponding task in OmniFocus as complete.

You would probably need a script which both marks the task as complete and does something else.

Assigning the script to a keystroke might ease the transition away from clicking the check-box to using your script.

yeah, I was figuring that was the way I would probably have to handle this use case.

Although I think it would be cool to be able to bind applescripts to certain "events" much like how javascript works.

Yes - this is something which works better under VBA in Windows than under Applescript in OS X :-)

To be fair to AppleScript, it does have a notion of binding handlers to events much like JavaScript, but OmniFocus doesn't currently post an event when items are completed. (Posting such events has been on our list to consider for over a year and a half, but so are a lot of other things!)

Is OF posting events yet? I'm new to AppleScript so I'm not clear on where to find this information.

You would look in the AppleScript dictionary for OmniFocus. (See the File menu in Script Editor.)

Briefly, no posted events yet. But lots of nice progress in the 1.6 Sneaky Peeks, so hopefully posted events is moving up the features-to-be-added list.

Curt