The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PowerPC Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Dear Omni-folks

Hi, just wanted to thank you for a superb browser, and request that you keep Tiger (need my classic) and the PowerPC (or at least universal builds) available. Omniweb is faster and more stable than Safari 4, and along with viewtube (via Greasekit) I can still watch youtube inside of a browser and with decent quality on a ibook G4 1.2 ghz. No lie.

I know there aren't tons of us out here anymore, but diehard PowerPC users are counting on Omni to keep us on our older macs! Yes, I know about tenfourfox, but having a webkit option is a lifesaver at times (Gecko really likes to get bogged down on the CSS on some sites).

Thanks again

Hello!

I just wanted to let you know that while we maintain older versions of all our apps on our ftp server:

http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/sof...e/MacOSX/10.4/

It is pretty likely that we will have to remove support for both 10.4 and Power PC's in the next few updates. Just a word of warning, we'd love to support Power PC forever but unfortunately it isn't possible for us to do so.

Just wanted to let you know that I'm working on maintaining WebKit (svn trunk) to still build and work on 10.5 PowerPC.
I started the Google Code project "leopard-webkit" for that purpose.
So far until now I could still get it to build and mostly work (with full feature set enabled, although not all of them do work). The issues I encountered are listed on the project page - unfortunately I don't have the time to debug and solve them as I work on the project in my spare time only.

I would appreciate if my project could help in maintaining a browser for 10.5 PowerPC that fully supports HTML5. Maybe OmniGroup could join that project maintaining the JavaScriptCore, WebCore and WebKit frameworks compatible with 10.5 PowerPC?