The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Add tasks via Mail? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
On the OF home page where it talks about the cool features, it says:

Add tasks via Mail
Send yourself todos when you’re on the go. OmniFocus watches for incoming mails that are tasks you send yourself and automically adds them to your OmniFocus inbox

so, how does one use this functionality? I can’t find anything about it. I know how to use Clippings, but frankly, Clippings is a pain in the butt. I don’t want to have to select text within an email to get it into OF. I want to just be reviewing email, hit a button (like F6 in iGTD) and boom, it’s dumped into the inbox.

I realize this is probably different than what the feature above is talking about, but if I can figure out how to use the feature, maybe I can adapt it by rule or something to a suitable workflow.

See the application Preferences. Checking the box in the Mail pane adds a Rule to Mail. The syntax is now available in the help.

cool, thanks. Got it to work.

And I've been able to address the Jott issue by simply adding another criteria there.

Question: I tried to duplicate the rule and then edit it into a Mail Act On rule so that I could invoke it at the mail level to simply take an email and just move it to the inbox instead of having to use Clippings. So far I can’t get that to work. Has anyone used this functionality in this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
Question: I tried to duplicate the rule and then edit it into a Mail Act On rule so that I could invoke it at the mail level to simply take an email and just move it to the inbox instead of having to use Clippings. So far I can’t get that to work. Has anyone used this functionality in this way?
For that, I've found Curt Clifton's script to work well.

Is there a way to use Microsoft Entourage instead of Mac Mail?

This feature works well. Unfortunately my wife saw these forums and now knows that sending me an email with a -- adds a item automatically to my to do listings (inbox) in OmniFocus.

Thanks.... Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askon View Post
This feature works well. Unfortunately my wife saw these forums and now knows that sending me an email with a -- adds a item automatically to my to do listings (inbox) in OmniFocus.

Thanks.... Thanks a lot.
It should only get into your inbox automatically if her address is on the list of approved senders in OmniFocus' Mail preferences pane. If you are seeing it get added w/o that, let us know.

Of course, she'll probably want you to do it either way.... =)

Craig....thanks for that link, but I'm not seeing anything that says it works with Mail Act On. Talks about MailTags.

I’m not sure why the rule OF creates can’t simply be duplicated and the syntax modified to adapt it to Act On. It appears there’s a script that will take an entire message and move it to my inbox without having to resort to clipping. So, whether via Act On or some other mechanism intrinsic to OF, let me do that on command.

Clipping is OK, but it seriously slows me down in processing my Mail inbox. Right now, for me and my process flow this is a serious weakness and flaw in OF’s design scheme.

rmathes,

Download the script zip file. The included instructions explain how to trigger the scripts using Mail Act-On. If you're on Leopard, be sure to get the Leopard version of Mail Act-On.

Curt

what about Entourage?