The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

del.icio.us integration Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I love the features of this browser, but without del.icio.us integration it has limitations for me. I work in other OSes and on other computers, and online bookmarking is necessary. Seems like I have seen others requesting this same feature as well. Please consider adding this functionality. Thanks.

How would you see this 'integration' being?

If there can be a way for it to be completely optional, I would say go for it. Giving the user more options and usability is great.

It cannot become mandatory though...I tried del.icio.us and I hated it. No way you'd force me to use it. While not quite as simple, it's very easy to sync bookmarks (I've even seen Applescripts that will parse a bookmark file and create a webpage with the links that can automatically be uploaded to a website).

FWIW, I am evaluating WebnoteHappy for this purpose. I realise it's not "integration," but really, it handles local and del.icio.us bookmarks so well that I don't see a built-in bookmark manager ever coming close. I keep all my "daily/occasional hits" like forums, CPanel admins, and financial stuff in my OW Favorites bookmark bar, and everything else in WnH. It's quickly become an absolutely invaluable tool and will necessarily separate me from some more of my money when the trial ends. =)

This really is not a standard feature in any browser, except Flock, but you can get it with the FF extension. Given the rise of social bookmarking, it would be a really innovative route to take. Just as OW now syncs with a variety of servers for its standard bookmarks, it could sync with del.icio.us.

In my case, my bookmark folder is entirely empty now, as I keep all my links on del.icio.us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazokajoe_2k
It cannot become mandatory though...I tried del.icio.us and I hated it.
I agree. That social bookmarking stuff is not for me.

If you like that sort of thing, why not try Flock?

What feature are you looking for? Del.icio.us already provides a javascript button to bookmark the current page. Then you could use the quicksilver del.icio.us plugin to search and open your pages in OW. Works like a champ over here.

The firefox del.icio.us integration is outstanding, and it really makes me think twice when I choose which browser to launch. Something similar with OmniWeb would be outstanding!

Quote:
The firefox del.icio.us integration is outstanding, and it really makes me think twice when I choose which browser to launch. Something similar with OmniWeb would be outstanding!
I agree. Even allowing firefox plugins to work with OmniWeb would be great. Or a plug-in facility for OW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarlock View Post
I agree. Even allowing firefox plugins to work with OmniWeb would be great. Or a plug-in facility for OW.
FWIW We would let firefox plug-ins work in OmniWeb if we could but the browsers are different platforms. Think of it as OS X and Windows. You can't run OS X applications in Windows and vice-versa. Well, with virtualization you can but you get the idea.