The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Project Templates Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Creating a "Templates" folder works extremely well, actually:
  1. Create a folder called "Templates".
  2. Right-click on the folder and deselect "Active".
  3. Create template projects. You don't need to put them on hold because the parent folder is already marked inactive.
  4. Copy your template into an active folder to use (option-dragging works well).
Btw, I've submitted feedback to Omni that inactive folders should be greyed out to avoid confusion. Same should probably go for sub-projects.

Dan

I have a related request. Would it be possible to develop a type of list that is non-action in nature--for lists of quotes, phone numbers, gift ideas, standard meeting agendas, etc. etc. etc. These aren't projects. The items don't have start dates or due dates or contexts or anything like that. They're just lists. Now, one may say, "Why do you want OF to handle simple lists?" Because as much of my system as I can put in one place, the more efficient I am. And, in the case of lists like gift ideas, for example, items could be promoted to actionable items by drag-and-drop into a "Next Actions" list. In this case, I would envision a separate item on the sidebar along side "Library" (which, by the way, I suggest could be better named to, say, "Projects" or something like that) called, say, "Lists". What do you think?

I think one of the several list/clipping-management apps already available for the mac would serve you better. There are loads, ranging in sophistication from Stickies and TextEdit through to apps like Yojimbo and DevonThink. Why reinvent the wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_f View Post
Why reinvent the wheel?
Or even OG's excellent OmniOutliner. If you've never tried it, and you're already using OmniFocus, you'll feel right at home. The similarities are significant.

On the other hand, I can see jonwalthour's point. It's nice having your lists all in one place, using the same organizational tools, key combinations, and user experience with ability to drag items around, etc. After all, OmniFocus is already an excellent "list manager" at its most basic level. So would it really be reinventing the wheel?

I keep some lists in OmniFocus as it is. These are mostly things that I see as actionable at some point in the future, like books I want to read, films I want to see, possible activities to entertain my kids, and even a list of OmniFocus issues I've either reported to Omni Group or that I'm trying to figure out. I keep most on hold so they don't cloud my everyday to do lists. For easy access, I have perspectives set up to open a new window focused on those items.

I see it as kind of an extension of my someday/maybe workflow. It's worked well for me and certainly makes it easy to "promote" items to an actionable status.