The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quick entry and subprojects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Most of my projects have multiple subprojects---which I have as children of projects (and rarely as children of children etc.). If I add a new task to a project via quick entry, it becomes the last child of the project. Is there a way to get it to become the last child of any subproject, i.e. treat the subprojects in the same way that subcontexts are treated?

I can't seem to figure a way to do this, but it seems to be something desirable, as it works with the symmetry of the behavior of projects and contexts.

Not currently.

The philosophy seems to be that if you get the action "near" to where it belongs, you can then move it to the exact right spot when you review the project. I resisted that for a long time, preferring to put things in the right spot as I thought of them. But after giving in for a couple of days, I'm now hooked on the "toss it in the right project and deal with it later" mode of working.

I use review intervals on all my projects, with the most important projects set for daily review (and the less important or less urgent projects set for fairly long review intervals). I spend 10 minutes every morning looking over the projects due for review that day.

Curt

Good enough. I'll stop trying to figure it out.

The one disadvantage of having the 'close enough' philosophy is that unless there is a file-me context, other contexts get next actions which aren't truly next. This is bad when there are long-term projects which really need review only once every couple of weeks.

I guess I'll make a file-me context rather than put the items into the proper context for their project.

I actual have a "Planning" context that works quite well. I use it for actions that are only half baked. It's an easy way for me to get something into my system for later review without having to interrupt what I'm doing at the moment. I also put my "brainstorming" actions in that context. Planning is a definite state of mind for me, so having a context for it makes sense. Using a specific context for it also helps me fall into the trap of over organizing my system all the time.

Curt