The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Red Badges v. Orange Badges Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Until recently, Red Badges have been displayed for a) Actions that are due prior today and b) Actions that are due today. Orange Badges have been displayed for items that are soon, which I currently have set for 3 days.

As of the last few builds, Red badges are displayed only for actions that are overdue. Actions that are due today now are displaying Orange badges. Therefore lumping 'due today' with 'due soon'.

This change is rendering the badges far less functionally useful for me than the previous behavior. I want to 'due today' distinct from 'due soon'. There should be a preference to keep the old behavior.

- Art

This is because the default time changed from 12AM to 11:59 PM

While I agree it was nice to have the red for due today - I understand the logic of the change. If I typed due today, I mean due at the end of the day - not the first minute of the day.

I'm not sure what the pref should be. Maybe:

"Mark actions "Urgent" when overdue, or due within the next XXX"

I'd love it if Omni could build in some of these prefs and then sparsely document them and leave them out of the UI and allow those who care to modify them with defaults or using a plist editor.

UI issues and preference clutter (and QA testing) seem to be the only real reason against more prefs...

-P

If I type due today, I mean that it's due sometime from the first minute of the day until the last minute of the day. I don't mean it's due at the very last minute of the day (that would be 'before tomorrow'.

I have absolutely no interest in using due times for projects. Prior to now, I have never once entered a specific time in the due date. The change in the default will force me to enter a time (of 12:00 am) for every single action. I really don't want to do that. I could care less if the preferences are cluttered -- ideally I should not have to interact with the preferences very often. A little clutter is far better than having to add extraneous data on every single action item entered.

The simplest preference to add would obviously be the default time. Given the chance, I would set it back to 12 am.

I would like to see one step beyond:
overdue: red
today: blue
tomorrow: orange
And I do not need due times!

Absolutely! Due times are a huge burden -- they should be there for those that need them, but don't turn them into sets of balls and chains for those who don't.

Adding a third color badge would surely be a good step: recognizing Past, Present, and Future is more sensible than limiting you to only two out of three.

Last edited by otter; 2007-12-14 at 10:37 PM..

Changing the default time from 12:00 am to 11:59 pm inherently results in the creation of structured uncertainty.

Items that I set due for 'Today' now show up with orange rather than red badges. This means that I have absolutely no way of distinguishing 'today' items from items that may be due tomorrow or the next day, etc. So every time I see an item with an Orange badge, I experience uncertainty -- and feel obliged to check to see whether this is in fact something scheduled for today. The result is instant programatically structured anxiety.

The point is that even if I do start entering real due times (12am or whatever), every time I see an orange badge I am going to ask myself:

"Hey, maybe that's something that is due today but it's showing up orange because I forgot to override the default time?"

- Art

Last edited by otter; 2007-12-14 at 11:10 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Changing the default time from 12:00 am to 11:59 pm inherently results in the creation of structured uncertainty.

Items that I set due for 'Today' now show up with orange rather than red badges. This means that I have absolutely no way of distinguishing 'today' items from items that may be due tomorrow or the next day, etc.
While I actually agree with the idea of 3 colors, or having due "Today" being red. I have to point out the that same uncertainty existed before. You couldn't tell the difference between things that were overdue, or due today. However, hopefully we all have far more things due soon, then overdue - so I think the current situation is worse. You want to try and catch things due today to prevent them from being overdue.

However three colors makes it even more confusing as to which should show in the sidebar.

Its issues like this that make January 8th feel a little too soon....

-P

Quote:
Absolutely! Due times are a huge burden -- they should be there for those that need them, but don't turn them into sets of balls and chains for those who don't.

Adding a third color badge would surely be a good step: recognizing Past, Present, and Future is more sensible than limiting you to only two out of three.
Agreed. I am of the “no overdue actions!” school, so I used the red badges to quickly find those items that have to be done today. Now, no more. The uncertainty otter mentioned is there and it’s bothering me.

I vote for a third badge: Due today. Blue would be nice.

Cheers,
-Sascha

the only issue with blue as a color is it is used for singleton actions, and for the red and orange, the text color matches the badge color...

-P

Quote:
Until recently, Red Badges have been displayed for a) Actions that are due prior today and b) Actions that are due today. Orange Badges have been displayed for items that are soon, which I currently have set for 3 days.t
I wonder - weren't the red badges for "past due", and since actions were set to 12 am by default (how many users actually set or care about a time), they are past due on the day they are due.

The change in default time has affected the badge colors, not the meaning of the badges.