The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus <=> Things Sync Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Things has an XML format for its tasks. Can be nice to have a sync between them, or import/export for when youu feel like having a change you can believe in for a while! :)

Hmmmm...what exactly is that supposed to mean... "Having a change you can believe in for awhile!"?

Lightstorm -- actually, I use both Things and OF. Started with OF before iPhone, and then got used to Things syncing locally before OF caught up. Now I have a funny division of labor -- Things, with its flat projects, for immediate stuff, and OF for comprehensive list of all things in the universe. It's hard to *not* to use one of them while pondering contexts vs tagging, so I end up with both. And of course whenever you have two program managing similar data, you think of syncing and convertors. I guess as products mature, convertors will pop up.

I would love to see a sync too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseibert View Post
I would love to see a sync too.
Hello there is a way to do it. i did it. Simply open two windows things and OF. Then on things create you project + 1 blanc task. It will look like this
PROJECT
Task
Then, drag one by one the task. and so you will see the task in things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdenoisy View Post
Hello there is a way to do it. i did it. Simply open two windows things and OF. Then on things create you project + 1 blanc task. It will look like this
PROJECT
Task
Then, drag one by one the task. and so you will see the task in things....
That loses all the notes and details attached to the text.

You can use iCal Sync to sync tasks from one to the other, given that both sync with iCal. This works fairly well, though a little cruft does come across. If you want to move all your tasks from one app to another, though, it will save you a ton of time.

I don't envision it being trivial to use both products simultaneously and have tasks sync seamlessly back and forth in both directions all the time. Methinks it's best to do your tasks in one task manager, rather than spending all your time managing your task managers themselves.

Judging by the early response on the cultured code forum to the release of things 1.0 rc1 .. I'm not sure how many people will be paying them money for the finished product anyway ..

I think they broke their product " improving it " .. .

I was using it on a limited basis for quick lists etc .. but the rc is so cluttered and frustrating .. they can have it .

Hi,
I am migrating to OF and working on an importer to bring Things to OF.

See here:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...0996#post70996

Quote:
Originally Posted by A to the B View Post
Hi,
I am migrating to OF and working on an importer to bring Things to OF.

See here:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...0996#post70996
Cool. Please post how you did it. I would like to convince some of our Things-user also. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseibert View Post
Cool. Please post how you did it. I would like to convince some of our Things-user also. :-)
See here.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...1132#post71132