The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Boolean filtering/search capabilities? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi - Somebody please correct me if this is do-able and I've just missed it, but it would be great to add boolean type search functions to perspectives - IOW, I'd like to be able to display all items that are due/overdue, AND all items that are flagged. I do not believe this is currently possible - one can "filter" to get all due items that are flagged for instance, or all flagged, or all due, but not a combination. It would also be nice to be able to EXCLUDE certain criteria from display - for instance; show all items due that are NOT flagged.

And while we're at it, more user definable flags would be useful - tags anyone?

Best,
rich

In context mode, there is a Due or Flagged choice in the action selector which gets you all the actions which are either flagged or would show up in a Due Soon view. I'm interpreting your first request as the union of the set of things which are due and the set of things which are flagged. If you meant the set of things which are due and also happen to be flagged, see the next paragraph :-)

Due and flagged is accomplished by selecting Due Soon in the action selected and Flagged in the flag selector in context mode.

Due but not flagged is accomplished by selecting Due Soon in the action selector and Unflagged in the flag selector in context mode.

2.0 is supposed to have a user-customizable metadata column which you could use for additional flags, tags, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
In context mode, there is a Due or Flagged choice in the action selector ...

2.0 is supposed to have a user-customizable metadata column which you could use for additional flags, tags, etc.
Hey thanks - missed the "Due or Flagged" choice. Still, finer control over these kinds of things (exclusions, date searching, etc...) would be nice, eh?

I'll look forward to user-definable metatags.

Thanks again!
rich

Send in your feature requests with Help->Send Feedback or email omnifocus@omnigroup.com.

It is not possible to exclude words from your search is it? Nothing in the manual mentions this that I could find.

For example:
Terms you want to exclude (-)
Attaching a minus sign immediately before a word indicates that you do not want pages that contain this word to appear in your results. The minus sign should appear immediately before the word and should be preceded with a space. For example, in the query [ anti-virus software ], the minus sign is used as a hyphen and will not be interpreted as an exclusion symbol; whereas the query [ anti-virus -software ] will search for the words 'anti-virus' but exclude references to software. You can exclude as many words as you want by using the - sign in front of all of them, for example [ jaguar -cars -football -os ]. The - sign can be used to exclude more than just words. For example, place a hyphen before the 'site:' operator (without a space) to exclude a specific site from your search results.

http://support.google.com/websearch/...&answer=136861

You can, of course do Where in OF searches on the pattern of:
tasks where name contains "rock" and name does not contain "music" and name does not contain "boat"

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-07-17 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: Updated link to Where in OF

Thanks Rob, I almost posted a link to Where in OmniFocus and asked if this could do that.