The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: MiniWindow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What do you think? I'd love a mini window like you get in iTunes

Anyone else like this idea?

Have you tried setting one up with perspectives?

I have been thinking about a mini window called "Done" that just shows what I did for the day.

BZ

Inspired by the "mini window" perspective that appeared in one of Ethan's videos, I made my own a while back. Now I actually have several pared-down windows showing very specific things that I can keep visible while working in other apps.

@Zoolok: is there something special in your proposal that can't be accomplished with a customized perspective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
@Zoolok: is there something special in your proposal that can't be accomplished with a customized perspective?
Not really - I am only just getting into the OF thing, having held of to the last minute for the discount! What I envisaged was maybe something like a window which shows either Due Today, @Work or whatever - so, yes perpectives could do this. If it would scroll, a bit like in iCalViewer ... even better (I find the sync with iCal a bit flaky ... I have three machines sharing calendars and keep ending up with OF getting a set of duplicates in @Inbox!). Finally an "always o top, but a bit see through" woud help ... although I could use "Afloat" for this.

So... maybe I don't need the MiniWindow after all!
Thanks for the advice!

maybe that approach is what you are looking for ;)

http://www.20seven.org/blog/articles...ork-in-unison/

I played around with this and you can easily create a mini window that can be popped up with only things you need.

I did a few:
- Daily ToDo
- Waiting For
- Agenda (all contexts grouped by Agenda)

I must say, OmniFocus really impressed me this weekend as I got into it. I even created a Perspective of all the things I can at work (no Mac/OmniFocus) so I can quickly email it as a PDF to myself weekly.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
I did a few:
- Daily ToDo
- Waiting For
- Agenda (all contexts grouped by Agenda)
Out of curiosity, what settings do you use for these perspectives? Is your Daily To Do based on due date? Or flagged items?

And I'm not sure I understand your "Agena" perspective. What does that mean? All Contexts grouped by Project?

I'd like a different approach to a mini-window.

I'd like the quick entry popup to let me create a project and some tasks within it. As I understand the quick entry popup now, I have to create the project and save it. Then call up the quick entry popup again, type in an action, and save that. Then call it up again, type, and save again.

Then I have to find those three things in the Inbox and associate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBaker View Post
I'd like the quick entry popup to let me create a project and some tasks within it.
You can do this now, either by avoiding using Return (e.g., use Shift-Command-] to create a child item and Control-Return to create a peer)—or, if avoiding Return feels too awkward to you, by changing the Quick Entry preference for Return to "Create a new item" (rather than its default of "Save items and close Quick Entry").

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Out of curiosity, what settings do you use for these perspectives? Is your Daily To Do based on due date? Or flagged items?

And I'm not sure I understand your "Agena" perspective. What does that mean? All Contexts grouped by Project?
Daily ToDo - This is a list of all contexts by due date in a small window. It just shows me if there is anything I need to get to today, or is overdue.

Agenda - I have a "Agenda" context and in it, peoples names "Bob, Sally, Frank" so this Perspective is just that context, grouped by context, in a new smaller window. The idea is, if I have someone on the phone, or going to meet with them, I and just pop this perspective (button in toolbar and key command) and I have all the things I need to talk to them about.

I also have one for work, which I mail as a PDF so I can do stuff there.

BZ