The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Calendar view, am I missing the point? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am confused by the usefulness of calendar view. I cannot get to see an individuals daily activities as I would have expected, even when it is in the work schedule view, all I get is the normal working hours. I expected that once a task has been setup and dated it would appear in calendar view.

CM

CD

I think I can help. I too had trouble grasping the concept of this tool.

I think what you're looking for happens after you do an HTML export.

The calendar view is only to set what the normal work day is like. Most offices are 9 to 5. My company's is 8:30 to 5 with an hour off for lunch. So, I adjust the beginning time to 8:30 and make sure that the lunch break is an hour. If you're only going to have one calendar per project I don't think it matters which time you choose -- I think I'd get the same results if I set it to 9:30 to 6. Not every project is Monday through Friday, etc.

There's also a way that you can set up individual calendars per resource for that project. Maybe support staff comes in at 9 and goes home at 4, but management is there before and after.

This help?

Christopher

I understand the point of the Calendar View as currently implemented, but I think it could be MUCH more useful if instead of just showing working hours, it showed the tasks which occurred on different days of the calendar. I almost never ask myself the question, "what are the work hours of July 9, 2007," but I very often ask myself, "what tasks are people scheduled to be working on tomorrow?"

HunterBoss's explanation for the current calendar view is right. When you do an HTML export, you'll have access to iCal files for each resource that you can drop into iCal and view from there.

realtyler and CD Morris:

We have a feature request to include a calendar view in OmniPlan which would do what you're asking for. I'll add a vote to this request for both of you.

Thanks for the responses.

It surprises me that one of three views that is switchable from the GUI is so limited.
I would use this feature if it showed the actual tasks at the specified times on each day. I understand you can do this via iCal, but I dislike having to export, launch, open another application and still not be able to edit in that view. This seems a bit lame to me.

Another grumble is no Pert chart and you need to go via Graffle for this feature. This needs to be built in, or be able to share the same file simultaneously as Visio and Excel do.

CM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD Morris
I understand you can do this via iCal, but I dislike having to export, launch, open another application and still not be able to edit in that view. This seems a bit lame to me.

Another grumble is no Pert chart and you need to go via Graffle for this feature. This needs to be built in, or be able to share the same file simultaneously as Visio and Excel do.
These are both feature requests planned for a later version of OmniPlan. Sorry that they're not already in OmniPlan now, but we're definitely working on some exciting things in the versions to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwong
HunterBoss's explanation for the current calendar view is right. When you do an HTML export, you'll have access to iCal files for each resource that you can drop into iCal and view from there.
Is this supposed to work when using an undetermined date? I'm guessing not.

How are you supposed to "drop into" iCal?

Thanks

Christopher

When using an undetermined date, I think the calendars will start in January 2001. Not so useful, I suppose.

The HTML export will create a folder, with a "calendars" folder inside of it. That should be full of .ics files. Either double-click one of those, or drag it onto the iCal icon in your doc. (Outlook and maybe Entourage should also be able to open these files, but that's probably beside the point.)